'Young people these days are less interested in studying than in earning money'

hera246 3 / 10  
(350-600 word limit)

'Young people these days are less interested in studying than in earning money', as said by most people is quite true; however it is not justified unless we understand the variety of reasons why youngsters develop interest in earning money.

According to the OECD Secretary-General Angel GurrĂ­a, "As we emerge from the global economic crisis, demand for university education becomes higher than ever."

As the students move on to achieve higher education after graduating from the high school, they have to consider many things before getting admission into a good college.

Unlike thirty years before, when fee structures were reasonable, today most colleges have tuition fees and other expenses which sum up to a high value.

About sixty-five percent of the student body comes from families that cannot afford high tuition fees. As a result, many students have to do part-time jobs, which wastes most of their time, which they could utilize for study, and because of this, many students complete their four-year bachelors in six years.

Also with the growing advantages for the better-educated and likely continuing high levels of unemployment, as economies move out of recession, students agree to do jobs that are not necessarily very suitable for them. Once a student starts earning money, he gets used to it, until he becomes overly engaged in earning and forgets about working hard.

In some developing countries where feudal system is dominant, most parents force their children to help them in their family businesses during their studies time. This makes their children uninterested in studying and thus instead of flourishing in academics, their children plan about ways of doubling their pocket money.

Apart from this, there are some families, in which young children start doing job because they want to prove their parents that they no longer need parental support, of course that opens the question of whether parental attitude makes them go for it or the temptation to have more money than their meager pocket money.

In some countries, independent firms demanding low paid labor, offer attractive packages for young people, which they accept without giving it a second thought.

On the other hand, there are students who are actually tired of earning. They know that they could earn a lot more money if they had completed their bachelors or masters; however, because of financial problems, they are forced to do jobs.

In my opinion, doing job while you are studying is not unsuitable as it gives good experience and prepare you for future endeavors, unless you decide yourself about your priorities and control your temptations for money, which is difficult but controllable.
scaremechelle 2 / 3  
really really good.
I like that you have support for everything and the essay itself just flows smoothly. good work :)
OP hera246 3 / 10  
Thankyou....I will be posting other essays as well...very soon and I would like to have your comments....

Home / Writing Feedback / 'Young people these days are less interested in studying than in earning money'