Should young people choose their professions, or should their parents choose for them?

shintacandrade 10 / 74 87  
In your opinion, should young people choose their professions or should their parents choose for them?

Young people these days are becoming more and more independent regarding to what they want to be in their future career. In many families, however, there are an old tradition in which parents still be the ones who determine children's professions. In this point, I would argue young people should be given full freedom about what to do with their chosen jobs.

Firstly, types of jobs nowadays are available in a wider range than few decades ago. Result shows that young people in this era tend to have a strong ability in gaining their career even if the jobs are common. Take Agustinus Wibowo, one of the famous writers in Indonesia, for an instance. Since he was in university, travelling has been his hobby and aspire as well. His experiences of visiting many places for years around the worlds, then, have brought him to be an explorer and traveller writer as his profession. He has been through both enjoyment and miserable along his journey to achieve his, perhaps unusual, career.

Another thing is that there is a human right in which people cannot force their desire to others, including parents to their children in the term of choosing professions. A film entitled 'Three Idiots' is an excellent example of this. Farhan, one of the players, is insisted by his parents to be an engineer, but he actually wants to be a photographer. Initially, he complies what his parents wish although in the end he decides to be a professional photographer since he do not obtain such a job satisfaction as an engineer. In this point, more attention should be pain on the fact that every person has different inclinations regarding to their careers because it is not only about money and status, but also happiness.

However, some parents hope that their sons or daughters should work based on their perspective. In my view, it happens in an old tradition in which children have responsibility to continue their parents' footsteps. For example, when their parents work as doctor, the children should do so. Those parents usually believe that they know well about their children and what profession Is best for them. They have prepared and encouraged their children to achieve such professions since they were kids. It is clear that when parents determine a job for their children, young people seem to have no opportunities to express their potential and desires.

In conclusion, it is evidence that the benefits outweigh the drawbacks if young people enable to choose their professions rather than their parents decide it for them. Where possible, parents and children should discuss related to their future careers in order to gain harmonious situations.
MuhammadImho 17 / 12 7  
Firstly,The first reason of this point is how types of jobs nowadays are available in
Take Agustinus Wibowo, one of the famous [...] to achieve his, perhaps unusual, caree r<------ it is better for you make this paragraph in three sentences and in the third sentence, give conclusion or discussion for example, it is thus clear that parents should give opportunity for their children to chose the profession that they want.

The first reason of this point is how types of jobs nowadays are available in a wider range than few decades ago. Result shows that young people in this era tend to have a strong ability in gaining their career even if the jobs are common. It is thus clear that parents should give opportunity for their childrens to chose the profession that they want.

Home / Writing Feedback / Should young people choose their professions, or should their parents choose for them?