Writer's Duty (Faulkner's Nobel Prize Speech and Dillard)

luckystar 3 / 9  
Please help revise this essay.

Prompt

In a well-organized essay, define and explain what Faulkner's Nobel Prize Speech and Dillard each believe to be the writer's duty. Then, using the selection form Dillard's An American Childhood, analyze how she achieves the writer's duty.

I have to use enthymene consisting of major premise, minor premise, and the conclusion of it.

1st para.-explain the major premise
2nd para.-explain minor premise
3rd para.-conclusion of major and minor

THANKS!

Writing has many reasons or duty for writing any type of genre. Writer's duty is to convey his or her message to the audience. William Faulkner and Annie Dillard both achieved their purpose through the definition of writer's duty. According to Faulkner's Nobel Prize Speech and Dillard's "To Fashion a text," writer's duty requires not giving up writing, because every numbers of writing has a purpose that needs to be achieved. Annie Dillard does not give up. Therefore, Annie Dillard achieves the writer's duty.

Faulkner and Dillard inform writers not to give up in portraying the message that he or she intends for the audience. For example, Faulkner tells young writers not to give up when he stated that they "must teach [themselves] to be afraid" and not forget about being afraid "forever, leaving no room" in himself for improvements. The speaker illustrates that young men and women should be afraid of what to write, because everyone's been through that case before. If one quits writing because of his or her fear, he or she's giving up on this opportunity of becoming a great writer. For another example, Dillard doesn't tell readers directly not to give up, but says that the "structure of a given text, which is of great intense to the writer" wakes him or her "out of bed in the morning and impel [the writer] to the desk" (To Fashion a Text 56-57). Dillard gives an example of a writer who gets out of bed to write, telling the audience that he does not give up on writing the purpose. The purpose is accomplished through the structure that the writer forms, so Dillard's example of writer does show persistence. The writer gets out of bed to structure his text for the audience to have a better understanding of the message. Also Dillard claims that writers portray his or her message well when there's "deep love for and respect for language, for literary forms, for books." This is what makes the writer get up every morning to write, because "it's a privilege to muck about in sentences all morning." Writers do not give up because it's their passion to write. When they have their abilities of being persistence, their message will be easier to understand. Faulkner and Dillard both inform writers not to give up, because that's what helps get messages across to the audience.

Dillard illustrates that she does not give up having her message fully developed, and therefore achieves the duty. In a part of her memoir, she puts in a man that she and her friends threw a snowball at when the man was driving. Dillard puts a whole section about the man who had catches them by chasing" passionately without giving up." Dillard demonstrates her persistence by writing about this man to help build her message. Her message in this part was to inspire adults to not be so lifeless. The man's purpose of chasing them is to experience the childhood once again, because adulthood is too "ordinary." Even Dillard says this "ordinary adult evidently know what [she] thought only children who trained at football knew" which was to "forget yourself, aim, dive." The unknown man did forget about himself and to have fun. Adults are too ordinary that even children think they don't know anything that they've learned during childhood. Dillard could have told readers not to give up and not go through this whole situation of a man chasing them. However, she described the situation giving audience the idea that she doesn't give up on her writing. Her passion of writing by being perseverant is to display the message that she aims to reach for the readers. The messages are conveyed through the perseverance of a writer.

Annie Dillard achieves the writer's duty through her text. Her achievements lead other writers know the importance of not giving up on the message that they want by writing a sentence or two. The message would be well achieved if the writer puts her or her effort into the text. If the purpose was given directly without readers pondering upon it, there's no fun for the readers to read about it. Then every book out there would be very easy to be published because all writers get straight to their point. The whole thing about writing is to express the purpose of the writing. By writing, you have to have the patient to

Every writer out there should have the ability of not giving up, because it's their passion to write. Annie Dillard is similar to other writer who explains their message thoroughly to the audience. Faulkner and Dillard both explain the importance of not giving up in order for all authors to show their message. Messages would be consisting of more effective and powerful language if a writer is persistence.
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
The sense of this essay is inhibited by grammatical errors at the most basic level, such as omitting articles, using the singular form when the plural is needed, or leaving sentences incomplete.

By writing, you have to have the patient to

I suppose you mean "patience." The patience to do what?

Writing has many reasons or duty for writing any type of genre.

"Duty" should be "duties" to match "reasons" but this still doesn't make sense. Writing has duties and reasons for writing? How can an action have a duty? "Any type of genre" is tacked on at the end, further confusing the meaning.

A writer's duty is to convey his or her message to the audience.

Later in the paragraph, you do state your thesis more clearly. That thesis seems to be: The writer's duty is not to give up; Annie Dillard didn't give up; therefore, Annie Dillard fulfilled the writer's duty. That seems awfully simple to me, but perhaps it is acceptable.
Keng 39 / 134  
The best way to improve grammatical errors is to read English texts of various subjects such as politics, science and biology so that you know how to effectively write an essay.

nytimes. There are many topics you can read, and this website has academic vocabularies which help your writing an essay with correct patterns of English writing.

Home / Writing Feedback / Writer's Duty (Faulkner's Nobel Prize Speech and Dillard)