work that one finds fulfilling or work that pays well? Van Gogh, C.Marx examples

ODIE 1 / -  
Is it more important to do work that one finds fulfilling or work that pays well?
In the light of "need-hierachy theory" by A.Maslow,the individual's needs contain physiological needs,safety needs, social needs,esteem and self-actualization.we can easily conclude that the desire for materials such as money is relatively a lower need,and it is self-actualization that defines the meaning of life.

The devotion to jobs is an essential factor to reach this goal.Take Vincent.Van.Gogh as an example.In his early days,Van Gogh was aspired to become a pastor.In 1879 he worked as a missionary in a cold miming area in Belgium.He was willing to live like those he preached to,though the living condition was squalid.After becoming a painter,Van Gogh failed to produce works that were in line with current style.Since he opted to draw what he values or those close to god.Had Van Gogh produced the similar works as his peers,he were simply to become ordinary artist instead of the fouder of mordern art.In such case,his material life could be suffcient enough.However,it contradicted his belief to become "the servant of god".

Another example relates to Carl Marx who set communism as his life goal.However,this "inapproprite aspiration" made him suppressed in prussia and exiled to london where he was paid wretchedly.Once,an abundant financial support was offer to Marx so long as he abandoned his belief.It was obvious that Marx would reject such request.In his subsequent life,poverty acted as a stimulant rather than an obstacle.Imagine Marx stood for prussia government, his great accomplishement such Marxist philosophy and Das Kapital woud be abesnt.

Some jobs may be dull yet they guarantee decent income and fame while some others may be enjoyable yet lead to destitution. I appreaciate the latter for the simple reason that it differentiates a real man from those who survive idealessly.

This is my second SAT essay.i especially need some suggestions to my first and last paragraph which i think are awful.

thank you for any advice!
niloo - / 13  
Hello, I have written correct dictation of the words below:
hierarchy

sufficient

founder of

P russia

L ondon

inappropriate aspiration

accomplishment

would be absent

I appreciate

idealess
Yes, add a sentence to the end of that first paragraph. Make it a sentence that answers the question clearly. That will be your thesis statement.

In the conclusion paragraph, I see that you name "fulfilling" jobs as the ones you favor.
Some jobs may be dull, yet they guarantee decent income and fame, while some others may be enjoyable yet lead to destitution. ----- I added some commas

I appreciate the latter for the simple reason that it differentiates a real man from those who survive idealessly. It is not about being man or woman.. and the word idealessly seems wrong. Maybe you should use the word fulfillment, like in the prompt:

I appreciate the latter for the simple reason that it creates the possibility of fulfillment in life. (Add another sentence or maybe even 2 sentences.)

:-)

Home / Writing Feedback / work that one finds fulfilling or work that pays well? Van Gogh, C.Marx examples