Winter Carnival Queen Scholarship Pageant Essay

raya1001 2 / 10 3  
Growing up I never had a clear goal for my future. I have always had so many interests but I could never pin point one career I would like to do for the rest of my life. I did a little of everything I liked and explored all of my options. I looked at a lot of different schools and spoke with my teachers and consolers about what they thought would be a good fit for me, but I still couldn't decide what I wanted to be.

Finally, I got the sign I needed. When I was diagnosed with a rare form of melanoma at the age of 17, I wasn't even sure if I would get to go to school. I graduated high school early and had to put off going to college to receive radiation treatment, and to get myself healthy again. The only one that was really there for me through my toughest days was a stray cat I found abandoned and emaciated. I took her in and from that moment on I have had a burning desire to work in animal cruelty cases either as an animal cop or an emergency veterinary technician. I know that cat helped me just as much as I helped her that year, and even though I am still fighting the cancer today I believe she is the reason I am doing much better today.

I would like to attend the animal behavior college to pursue the first step of my dream and that is getting my veterinarian assistant degree. The program starts off with five months of online study. After I complete that I will have to work at a veterinary hospital for six months to get my hands on training. When I complete the program I would love to start working for the humane society or another rescue group and start getting some experience. Eventually after I have worked in the field for a few years I can become an animal cop and start getting justice for every hurting animal.

I do not believe that the punishments for animal abuse are harsh enough and there needs to be reform. After I complete school I am going to fight for more severe consequences for the abusers negligent actions. I would also love to make dog parks available to all pet owners. Here in Brattleboro, and countless other small towns across the country, have no place they can bring their dogs to play with other dogs and run around like they are free. Dogs need that, and I will be working on getting one built first here in Brattleboro and then hopefully other towns after that because I believe it's important. I am also starting to volunteer at the local shelter, and I plan to organize events and fundraisers to help them raise money and resources.

If I was to win this scholarship money it would not only give me the chance to make my life better, but the lives of many of animals. I want to save, rehabilitate, and rehome animals that are victims of animal abuse because every life is precious and even animals want and deserve to feel what it's like to be loved. Without the scholarship I will most likely need to put of school until I pay off my medical bills. Treatment has been expensive and I most likely won't have them paid off for a few more years, I don't want to wait that long to begin my studies.
OP raya1001 2 / 10 3  
The other day on television I saw a story that compleatly horrified me. A woman had owned several pets. They were neglected, and abused so badly, that many of them lay emaciated; near death in her front yard. The animals were taken away from her and she was forced to pay a small fine. The very next day, she purcahsed a new puppy.

It has been said that people come into our lives for a reason. I believe that the same can be said about animals. At the age of 17, I was diagnosed with a rare form of melanoma. To be honest, once I received the diagnosis, I wasn't sure I would be able to attend college, let alone finish highschool. I actually ended up graduating from highschool early, but my fears about college became true as I had no choice but to put off attending my dreams of a higher education due to the extensive radiation treatment I had to receive to get healthy again. I felt powerless against this thing that was slowly taking my dreams, my goals, my aspirations, and my strenth away from me. The only one who was really there for me during my toughest days was Caroline, a stray cat I found abandoned and starved. She looked, how I felt. I took her in, and we became the companion each other needed to help both of us through our most difficult of time.

As she got better, I develpoed a new purpose. Suddenly, I had a burning desire to advocate for animals like Caroline who are unable to guard against the cruelty of their caretakers. That cat helped me just as much as I helped her that year. I guess you can say she saved my life in a manner of speaking. Even though I am still fighting the cancer today, I believe that Caroline is the reason I am doing much better.

I would like to attend The Animal Behavior College to pursue the first step of my dream, and that is getting my veterinearian assistant degree. It is an intense program which starts off with five months of online study. Subsiquently, I will be required work at a veterinary hospital for six months to receive hands on training. When I complete the program, I would love to work for the Whyndam Humane Society as an emergency veterinary technician, or at any animal rescue group who shares my passion. It is my ambition to campaign for more severe consequences for the negligent actions of animal abusers.Ultimately, I see myself fighting for the justice of every hurting, neglected, and abused animal as an Animal Control Officer. Alternatly, I would like to establish, here in Brattleboro, a dog park, made available to all pet owners. Currently there is no place in our community where people can bring their dogs to socialize and play with other dogs, or to run freely off leash.Currently I volunteer at the local shelter and am working very hard planing and organizing events and fundraisers to help raise the money and resourses to get this idea off the ground.

Up until caroline I had lost the clear goals I had for my future. If I were to win this scholarship, it would not only give me the chance to better my life, but the lives of many animals. Every life is precious and even animals want and deserve to feel what it's like to be loved. Without this scholarship, I will most likely need to put off school until I am able to pay off my medical bills and expenses. Treatment has been costly, and most likely I wont have them paid off for a few more years, and I don't want to have to wait any longer to pursue my studies.
dreamer7 1 / 4  
A very appealing essay! Good luck!

Home / Writing Feedback / Winter Carnival Queen Scholarship Pageant Essay