Weddings in Vietnam and America - two different ways to celebrate it

linhchi 1 / -  
Topic
Show the similarities and differences in the ways that two cultures celebrate an important event, such as a birthday, wedding, or funeral.
Answer
All countries in the world are unique. Obviously, countries are different from one another in location, size, language, climate, lifestyles and culture. Vietnam and America are also in this cycle. Due to the tremendously differences in culture, they have their very own ways to celebrate their wedding.

The significant similarity between American weddings and Vietnamese weddings is that event is a milestone in everyone's life. It marks their maturity as the bride and groom are going to build their own family with a lot of responsibilities. In addition, it is a time when family, relatives and close friends reunite to congratulate on their new life and bless the brides and grooms.

However, Vietnamese weddings and American weddings are various in location, time, and how they hold the ceremony. While American people, who believe in God, often arrange their wedding in church, Vietnamese weddings usually take place at home or in a luxurious hotel. Another difference is the way they conduct the wedding. In America, after the brides walk through the aisles, everyone will listen to the toasts given by the best men or bridesmaids. Then the bride and groom will make their vows, put the rings on one another finger and share a kiss. After the ceremony, the American newly-wed couples will go on a honeymoon. On the contrary, the most fundamental etiquette in Vietnamese weddings is praising their ancestors. Afterwards, the bride will be taken to groom's house for the other similar etiquette. Unlike weddings in America, which often last for few hours, Vietnamese weddings may take place in one or even two days.

Although Vietnam and America have something in common, there are remarkable differences that make each country unique and creative. That is what make the world extraordinary.
Lin, I am not sure where you got your ideas about how the American wedding is celebrated but there are a number of wrong assumptions on your part about the ceremonies. To begin with, not all American weddings are religious in nature nor held in Church. Americans are not highly religious people so making the assumption that all Americans believe in God is flawed. Do not make generalized statements about people without truly looking into the background of the event or situation you are discussing. It is not uncommon for Americans to have civil weddings in a garden setting, or more recently, have a wedding weekend, where the celebrations take place over a number of days. You need to revise that part of your essay to be more reflective of the actual American culture in comparison to that of the Vietnamese culture when it comes to weddings.

Home / Writing Feedback / Weddings in Vietnam and America - two different ways to celebrate it