IELTS: Should University education be free? 'Everything has two sides'

quy 3 / 3  
Please give feedback and correct grammatical mistakes

Some people believe that university graduates should pay the full cost of their education. Others say that university education should be free. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.

Everything has two sides and the issue of whether the university fees should be paid by government or not is not an exception. There are some people who opine that government authorities should take responsibility for paying the university fees. Others disagree and say that it is only the responsibility of students to pay for their higher studies.

People who are in favour of free education argue that it is the duty of government to make education accessible to everyone. There are certain families who cannot afford to pay for the education of their children. Generally, university education expenditures are much higher compared to school level education. Therefore, it is not necessary that everyone can bear the burden of high expenditures of this education. It would also be unfair to reject a student's application who has performed well in his academic career just because he or she has no money to pay for the fees. Moreover, talented young students are an important asset of any nation who if encouraged, can drive the economy of a country further and make a country prosper.

On the other hand, opponents claim that university education should not be free to all. They say that if students go for higher studies, it will only benefit them not the whole nation because they would earn for themselves and it is only they who would progress and improve standard of living. Therefore, this budget should be diverted to other facilities for public such as healthcare, sports, arts and so on. Another reason that they mention to support their argument is that people pay high amount of taxes to support education systems and run. A lot of money is invested in research sector, which may fail many times. In this way this burden is placed on the shoulders of general public which should be avoided.

In conclusion, I think both situations have their own advantages and disadvantages but I do believe that only outstanding students should be provided funds to study and conduct research.
pgaur 3 / 4  
You can add on more things like suggestions :

1. Free education can be an option based upon economy and basic problems which exists in a country .for eg : in Germany where education fee is almost negligible due to healthy economy , less population and other regional factors. on the other hand in India higher education is too high.

2. Provision of scholarships , Assistance ship can be given from government and educational societies to the needy ones.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS: Should University education be free? 'Everything has two sides'