Topic:The differences between Vietnamese and English culture.

Marco 1 / 2  

When we talk about the differences between Vietnamese and English culture, we can think of many things, namely Literature, Style of Music, Arts, Religion, Language... And I will tell you some dissimilarities of the two cultures.

The first pattern is about culinary culture. Both English and Vietnamese have 3 meals per day, but British food has traditionally been based on beef, lamb, pork, chicken and fish and generally served with potatoes and one other vegetable while people in Vietnam have rice, pork and vegetable as the main ingredients. The most common foods eaten in Britain include the sandwich, fish and chips, pies like the cornish pasty, trifle and roasts dinners, opposite to Pho, Bun cha, Xoi in Vietnam. For example, a typical English breakfast is more likely to be a bowl of cereals, a slice of toast, orange juice and a cup of coffee but in Vietnam, we usually eat Pho, Banh my, Xoi, instant noodles. Another difference is eating manner. English people eat with a knife, fork or spoon (with the fork in the left hand and the knife in the right one) while Vietnamese use chopstick. In the meal, the British usually use table napkin during the meal but paper handkerchief is used when Vietnamese people finishing the meal. In addition, before having meal, people in England normally pray for the God because of providing them with food, however, in Vietnam, everybody (especially young people) have to invite other members having meal.

The second pattern is social customs. In Vietnam, it's common when we call out one person's name, nevertheless, in England, it is considered impolite, they usually call the person's family name, except close friends or family members. In addition, when we are talking with a British, do not ask him/her personal or intimate questions, but it seems okay with a Vietnamese. Dislike Vietnam, people in Britain place considerable value on punctuality. For instance, if you agree to meet British friends at three o'clock, you can bet that they'll be there just after three, as opposed to Vietnamese ones, they can be late for about a quarter or a half hour. Another difference is that women in Britain are entitled to equal respect and status as men, as opposed to Vietnamese's thought. For example, it is usual for women to go out and about on their own as well as with friends in Britain, but in Vietnam, most women, after working at office, always come home and do the household chores and wait for their husbands and children.

The two patterns indicated above can show that the British culture is significantly different from the Vietnamese one.

Please give me some feedback and advice.
Thank you.
sharkondiet 3 / 22  
I'd like to have some suggestions on your word choices:

Another difference is eating manner

-> I suppose eating etiquettes or table manners are more popular.

In addition, before having meal, people in England normally pray for the God because of providing them with food, however, in Vietnam, everybody (especially young people) have to invite other members having meal.

-> invite sb to do sth. So this sentence should be rewritten : In addition, ... other members to have meal. Moreover, I'm not certain whether you can use two conjuctions "in addition" and "however" at the same time or not.

Dislike Vietnam, people in Britain place considerable value on punctuality.

-> "Dislike" is a verb. "Unlike" is maybe the word you intended to use :D And I suggest using "emphasis" instead of "value". Or, you can use "value" as a verb-> place much emphasis on/value.

Cheers :)
The intro is great, but add a thesis statement:
...think of many things, namely Literature, Style of Music, Arts, Religion, Language... And I will tell you some dissimilarities of the two cultures. (now add a thesis statement before you end paragraph one.)

In paragraph 2, name some more similarities in addition to the 3 meals per day. Near the end of that paragraph you can say, "Both cultures have rituals that occur at mealtime. In addition, b Before having meal, people in England normally pray for the God because of providing them with food, however, in Vietnam, everybody (especially young people) have to invite other members having meal. ---- This way, you will be showing enough similarities and enough differences.

Dislike Unlike Vietnam, people in Britain place considerable value on punctuality. For instance, if you agree to meet British friends at three o'clock, you can bet that they'll be there just after three, as opposed to Vietnamese ones, who can be late for about a quarter or a half hour.---- very good sentence!!
OP Marco 1 / 2  
Thank you, Sharkondiet and Kevin, for giving me some advice.
I want to write a good conclusion for this topic but I meet some difficulties.
Can you tell me some ways to wind up this topic?
Well, the thesis statement at the end of the first paragraph can make a keen observation... for example, you might observe that one word is especially good for describing what the two have in common.

If you think of a word like that and introduce it in the thesis statement near the end of the first paragraph, you can use the conclusion paragraph to talk more about that word. The whole conclusion paragraph can be about that word. And you will notice that the thesis statement and conclusion paragraph are about the same thing, or the conclusion paragraph discusses the IMPLICATIONS of what the thesis statement says.

:-)
Kokirisword 2 / 4  
Keep in mind that unless your readers are Vietnamese, they would have difficulty understanding the essay, since although things like Pho is famous, less American-Vietnam food mentioned such as Bun Cha and Xoi might confuse them, as a Vietnamese reader would be when introduced to bacon. It might be helpful to include a simple introduction to them, explaining that they're made of pork and sticky rice respectively :)
OP Marco 1 / 2  
Thank you for all (^^)

Home / Writing Feedback / Topic:The differences between Vietnamese and English culture.