IELTS: technology versus traditional skills and life

amyllei 2 / 4  
When a country develops its technology, the traditional skills and ways of life die out. It is pointless to try and keep them alive. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this opinion?

On the one hand, I admit that it is advanced technology that has brought a tremendous change to our life and more specifically speaking, thanks to the development of science and technology, the quality of our life has been improved significantly. On that other hand, at a certain degree, it is also the technology that pushes the traditional skills and ways of life in a danger. However, so long as we work hard, we can make both of modern and traditional well balanced.

At first, no one can stop the advancing strides of society with the aid of technology, "Technology makes life more beautiful". It is so nature that some traditional skills of low productivity will be replaced. For example, some labor intensive industries like textile had been substituted by machines. Most of processes relying on hands of workers now can be finished efficiently by enginery controlled by computers. The original weaving skills together with the old manual loom have been fading out gradually. Just for this case or likewise, it is no necessary to spend money to keep the undeveloped status.

Secondly, some of traditional skills and ways of life must be maintained as the symbol of human being's culture, such as China's traditional ceramic industry and tea industry, both of them are valuable heritages of Chinese ancestors as well as the splendid civilization achievements of humankind wisdom on the earth. We must take some actions to keep them for our future generations. They are deserved to be protected.

To sum up, technology will play its role in the society's moving on continually, meanwhile, we should give more attention to something traditional with high value for us in order to not let them fading out with time flying gradually.
Margo 1 / 2  
In my opinion, you need a hook to be interested.
OP amyllei 2 / 4  
But I wonder it should be me or my essay need a hook to attract the attention of helpers or IELTS markers?

hehe, anyway, thanks! a nice day!
Neeta 5 / 38  
About essay-Personally, I do not agree with later half of your 1st example because Parisian rugs know for its traditional and hand weaving rugs. Rather machine makes hand-made products expensive. High income people prefer hand made products because it's expensive and linked to status symbol. Therefore, you will find availability of these products in the list of "luxury products".

In my opinion technology has two side. One side it is making consumer products easily available to every individual and on the other side pushes up the cost of natural goods. Take example of human made fiber and natural fiber. Polyester is a human made fiber common among people at a reasonable price but silk not all that common because it is expensive. Now, both of them popular for its texture-that is softness. Creative people are again an example of rarity. There is no need to keep it alive till the time there is a demand for high end goods and rare people.

Technology makes traditional skills rare and more expensive. I feel talking about hospital, doctors and surgeons, hospitality, advertisement and campaign could be good examples to link how technology washed out traditional method of practice and people are happy. Here, there is no point to hold tradition back.

To keep traditional alive-you gave a good example. 2nd example could be cooking. We should eat fresh home cooked meals rather than processed/frozen food for heathy eating :d

P.S- I'm not a writer.
Just for this case or likewise, In this case, it is not necessary to spend money to keep the undeveloped status.
good point!

Secondly, some of traditional skills and ways of life must be maintained as the symbols of human beings' culture, such as China's traditional ceramic industry and tea industry. Both of them are valuable parts of Chinese heritage as well as the splendid civilization achievements of humankind's wisdom on earth.---I made a few changes here.

:-) I like your ideas, Amy!

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS: technology versus traditional skills and life