Space exploration requires vast sums of money. Justifiable?

amicalrahul 2 / 4  
Hi. I am preparing for PTE and will need your inputs to improve upon my writing skills.

Space exploration requires vast sums of money. Is the amount of money spent on space research justifiable? Could the money be better spent?

Although it is often argued that whether government should spend taxpayers money on space research programmes or not as the large amount of money is required for these expeditions and there are no direct benefits that taxable population get in return. However, I earnestly believe that the money consumed in these programmes is a wise utilization of it and in this essay I shall explain why.

First of all, environment outside the earth is alien to humans but the events that happen out there directly effect the Earth's climatic conditions. Moon is the satellite of earth and the position of moon affects the weather around the coastal areas. The advancement in the forecasting and communication technology has been made possible only with the advent of space technology. Meteorological department is now capable enough to issue any warnings related to worsening of weather conditions. Farmers are now able to arrange for alternate means of cultivation in case they get the bad rain forecast. All of these are example to prove that space exploration has helped humans in myriad number of ways.

In addition, It is wrong to say that space program is costly affair. India is the world's first country to launch the satellite in the Mars orbit and with only the one tenth of cost spent by USA. So, with the prudent utilization of resources the cost of these missions can be reduced.

Taking these points into consideration, from a personal perspective, without a shadow of doubt, I am inclined to conclude that every penny spent on the space exploration is worth and we can only assume where these innovations will land up the human beings in the next century.
Rahul, your essay should be along the lines of a compare and contrast essay because the prompt asks you to consider if the money can be spent on better things. I did not see you offering an opinion regarding that in your opening statement. In fact, your opening statement is very weak because of the way you structured the paragraph. As a sample, it should be written in the following manner:

There is a debate regarding the value of space exploration due to the amount of money it takes to mount such programs. A sector of society believes that large sums of money should not be spent on space exploration because it does not give back any tangible service to the tax payer. Others believe that spending the money is justifiable because of the technology that is developed for the project and then re-purposed eventually for simple use in everyday life. I offer the opinion that the money spent on space exploration is wisely spent because it provides a benefit to man in the long run.

You need to clearly represent the prompt and your opinion in order to give a solid overview of what you will be discussing within the essay. There is no need to mention that you will be specifically discussing certain topics.

As far as the line of reasoning within this essay goes, there is a lack of reasoning on the part of the discussion pertaining to the unjustifiable amounts of money spent on space exploration. Remember that there are 2 sides to every issue and in order to have a valid argument, both sides need to be discussed. Insert a paragraph that supports the argument that space exploration is an unjustifiable offense. That line of reasoning is missing from your essay.

You cannot use your personal perspective as the concluding statement of your essay. Your personal perspective is actually a part of the discussion and should have its own stand alone paragraph discussing the reasons why you support the vast amounts of money spent on space exploration. Using the launch of the Indian satellite would work very well to support your personal point of view. So bring that reference up to that portion of your essay response to strengthen your pov. Then write a summary conclusion of the information and discussion you provided to conclude the essay.

Home / Writing Feedback / Space exploration requires vast sums of money. Justifiable?