Short essay: baby boomers and different generations

alex10 3 / 5  
Hey! I have a write a essay on the different generations. i will be marked based on the following:

demonstrates complete knowledge about the generations;
uses sources to provide information about generations with high degree of effectiveness;
communicates ideas about the generations with highest effectiveness.
Also can you check my thesis.

Thanks

"Each generation goes further than the generation preceding it because it stands on the shoulders of that generation. You will have opportunities beyond anything we've ever known." (Reagan, 1981) In this paper, I present the characteristics and experiences of the baby boomers and the generation that followed them. I hope to show the characteristics and experiences of the Baby Boomers, Baby Bust (Generation X), Echo Boom (Generation Y), and Millennium Kids (Generation Z).

The baby boomers were a persuasive generation that changed political and ethnical views and various academic, cultural, industrial, and political activities. They were living in the times of post-war and have fought for change because they were living in a period of time where the war on inequality was still predominant. In 1963, Martin Luther King Jr. voiced at a march with his now famous I have a dream speech in Washington at the Lincoln Memorial, where more than 300,000 multi-colored faces marched as one to protest for racial equality. (King Jr., 1963) They also fought against the war instigated against Vietnam because they were very active when it came to politics. They were contemplated of their emphasize on freedom, and they banned employment discriminations in firms. Moreover, they contributed in many ways towards modern technologies and several lives saving equipment. Not only were a persuasive generation that changed political and ethnical views and various academic, cultural, industrial, and political activities, but the baby bust generation was influenced by education and work ethics.

Education and work ethnics influenced the baby bust generation, mainly because they were living in a generation that was created by the baby boomers. The baby bust cohort was able to establish an enriching standard of living regardless of their gender or race, due to the baby boomers that fought for change. They were the smallest population in North America but opened many doors for imminent men and women to perceive equality between men and women. They continued following the footsteps of the generation before them, became innovators and leaders, and provided society with new cultures and customs. Hip-hop culture and punk rock bands were proof. This generation was filled with enthusiasm, brainpower, and talented individuals who created a path for the echo boom to achieve more.

The echo boomers gave birth to technology, music, and movies. They grew up within a time during which the internet caused great change to all traditional media, such as Napster being the first file sharing program-allowing people to share music and pictures. "The rise of instant communication technologies made possible through use of the internet, such as email, texting, and IM and new media used through websites like YouTube and social networking sites like Facebook, MySpace, and Twitter." (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generation_Y) This generation gave birth to many new digital technologies such as the personal computer, cell phones, and MP3 players. The echo boomers were the technological generation that created many things, which we use today

The Millennium Kids generation is the most current generation, and they have introduced many new technologies, cultural changes, and trends. They are the most educated generation in history because they start school at a younger age and new technologies has made it possible for teaching them more effectively and they stay in education longer. They are also the most financially endowed generation in history. They start new trends because of their vast technological options and entertainment, leading them to be the most materially supplied generation today. They are the most socially and technologically empowered generation ever, but also all generations have contributed in many ways that have turned generation into what it is today. (generationz.com.au/about_what.html)

In this essay, I have shown the characteristics and experiences of the different generations. The baby boomers changed many political and ethical views of society. The baby bust generation was the innovators and leaders who created new cultures and customs such as hip-hop. The echo boomers gave birth to new music, technologies, and movies with a different style. The Millennium Kids generation is the most current and have contributed in numerous ways such as setting new trends, creating new cultures, and introducing new technologies. This research has added to my knowledge of my generation about that we were the pioneering generation of entertainment technologies.

Thanks again.
Notoman 20 / 419  
Here are a few thoughts to get you started:

You have four different generations that you will be comparing. That makes things pretty tough! AND ... there is nothing on the Greatest Generation--the parents of the Boomers who fought in World War II. When I think of generations, I think: the Silent Generation, the Greatest Generation, the Baby Boomers, Generation X'ers, and then the Millennials.

Keep your capitalization consistent. There are places where you capitalize the names of the generations and other places where you do not. I prefer having the capitalization in an essay of this sort because it sets the subjects apart.

"Each generation goes further than the generation preceding it because it stands on the shoulders of that generation. You will have opportunities beyond anything we've ever known." (Reagan, 1981)

Are you using MLA style? Put the end punctuation on the other side of the parentheses--you need to keep your citation grouped with the sentence. It feels weird, but that is the way it is done.

I present the characteristics and experiences of the baby boomers and the generation

generations

You might want to start out the introduction to each generation by defining that generation. What is meant by Baby Boomer? (Those people born after the soldiers returned home from WWII until about 1964). Then go into the defining characteristics (prosperity, stay-at-home moms, suburbs, the advent of television and commercialization, the Cold War, and the Space Race).

The baby boomers were a persuasive generation that changed political and ethical views andthrough their various academic, cultural, industrial, and political activities.

They were living in the times of post-war and have fought for change because they were living in a period of time where the war on inequality was still predominant.

This sentence is awkward. Although Baby Boomers are defined as being born after WWII, you could not say that they were necessarily living in the times of post-war ... many of the Boomers fought in Vietnam while other protested the war. Maybe something like: Although World War II ended, Baby Boomers were not free from their own wars. Not only did they fight in Vietnam, but they fought for social justice.

In 1963, Martin Luther King Jr. voiced at a march with his now famous I have a dream speech in Washington at the Lincoln Memorial, where more than 300,000 multi-colored faces marched as one to protest for racial equality.

This is a sentence fragment. It is hard to believe--it is so long, it has to be a sentence. You don't give your verb the chance to finish though. Martin Luther King, Jr. voiced ... Voiced what? Put the name of the speech in capitals and quotation marks. You can leave out "Washington" because it is assumed and it bogs down the sentence. I am not crazy about "multi-colored faces marched." First off, it looks like the faces are rainbow hued. Second, faces don't march. I'd rewrite it to look something like this: In 1963, Martin Luther King, Jr. voiced his "I Have a Dream" speech at the Lincoln Memorial, where more than 300,000 people marched as one to protest for racial equality.

They also fought against the war instigated against Vietnam because they were very active when it came to politics.

There has got to be a better way to word this--you don't want the reader to be confused between those members of the generation that fought in Vietnam and those who protested it at home. Try one of these:

Expressing their political beliefs, they protested against the war in Vietnam.
The Baby Boomers were politically active and protested against the war in Vietnam.

They were contemplated of their emphasize on freedom

I have no idea what you are trying to say here, but "contemplated" (thought out) is the wrong word.

and they banned employment discriminations in firms.

Discrimination would be singular, but I still don't like this construction because they didn't really ban employment discrimination and it wasn't just in firms. You could say: ... they fought for work place equality.

Moreover, they contributed in many ways towards modern technologies and several lives saving equipment.

You will need to expand on this. The Space Race? Precursors to the computer? "Lives saving equipment" doesn't work. You could say life-saving equipment or life-saving medical breakthroughs, but you really need to provide some kind of an example.

changed political and ethnical views

Maybe you mean "ethnical," I am not sure. Ethnical would be pertaining to ethnics--race, color, national origin, and creed type stuff. Ethics pertains to beliefs. "Ethnical" is not a very common word--my word-processing program doesn't recognize it.

Not only were they a persuasive generation that changed political and ethnical views and various academic, cultural, industrial, and political activities, but the baby bustBaby Boom generation was influenced by education and work ethics.

I only have the time to get this far. I hope that someone else will come along and pick up where I left off. Good luck with it!

Home / Writing Feedback / Short essay: baby boomers and different generations