Reliance on Technology to solve problem will deteriorate humans ability to think

mavericksid 1 / 1  
As people rely more and more on technology to solve problems, the ability of humans to think for themselves will surely deteriorate.

Write a response in which you discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the statement and explain your reasoning for the position you take. In developing and supporting your position, you should consider ways in which the statement might or might not hold true and explain how these considerations shape your position.

----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------------------------

Excessive reliance on technology can have a deteriorating effect on human cognitive skills, however it could be helpful if used astutely. Reliance on technology for completion of mechanical work by feeding instructions made my humans does not deteriorate humans ability, rather enhances it. Similarly, using technology for societal, economical, and political analysis can greatly improve human efficiency which helps humans to concentrate on bigger problems. Moreover, it is the mind and thinking abilities of humans that have allowed the development of products to aid themselves and not otherwise.

In contrast to the industrial revolution in 18th century, designing of heavy machinery is a lot more easier in 21st century because of the use of technology. This does not necessarily points out any disparity in designers' ken, but the use of advanced softwares such as CAD(Computer aided Design) which facilitates amelioration and expedition in formulation of better and efficient designs. Additionally, the material required and the set of procedures to be followed for the construction of heavy machinery are readily available because of the technologically advanced ancillary machinery also designed by humans. Thus, machines performs mechanical work on instructions from humans, which does not necessarily deteriorates human thinking ability but enhances it.

Similarly, in 21st century, data in any form is of paramount importance without which most of the societal, economical, and political analysis is not possible; instead of having a detrimental effect on humans ability, use of computers for data analysis allow humans to focus on matter of greater importance. Technology plays a helping hand in handling huge amount of data that assists humans to look at wider facet of a job. Political campaigns make use of such technology, wherein the use of computer software allows to keep track of the progress of political parties on regional basis. Presidential elections of 2012 in USA between Barack Obama and Mit Romney best exemplifies the use of such softwares for data analysis on the basis of which the percentage support of people for two competing parties was easily determined by the use of such softwares.

Additionally, technological advancements have allowed humans to engender products like scientific calculators, high speed mobiles, GPS(global positioning systems), RADAR(radio detection and ranging) etc. Although excessive reliance on these devices can degenerate humans ability to think, judicious use when necessary can aid humans in their day-to-day activities. Use of RADAR and GPS has almost been accepted as conventionality during sea voyages and air travel, which helps is better assessment of surrounding conditions permitting levelheaded decisions.

Clearly, technology has always acted as a crucial adjunct to humans thinking ability in diverse respect. It has always played a helping hand in enhancing human cognitive skills, but only through judicious use. Rather than totally avoiding technology, one should accept it as necessary part of one's life. It is not technology that deteriorates human cognitive skills but human tendency of excessive dependence that is self-depreciating.
OP mavericksid 1 / 1  
I've no interest in essay writing, but have to work on it as I've to take this exam. Although I'm required to complete this task in 30 minutes, I took almost thrice as much time as mentioned.

I'd be grateful to get a feedback on this piece of writing, and would definitely look forward for any tips on spawning ideas, as I find it difficult to come up with any in aforementioned period of time.
Dips 2 / 3 1  
If you are able to write this in GRE you will definitely get 5.0
... exactly :)

.... this is a well written introduction... The only point I notice is that you don't talk about excessive dependence of technology by humans which is the core of your prompt. When you introduce the topic, I feel you better mention that aspect too.

... I too vote for Dips... Your writing is excellent :)

Home / Writing Feedback / Reliance on Technology to solve problem will deteriorate humans ability to think