Perspective on Team Work - A group working or individual work?

radwa 6 / 11  
Two heads are better than one. A group working in tandem will always provide better, faster results than an individual working alone.

My Arabic grandfather used to always say, "A sack with two handles should be carried by two men," indicating that whenever there is room for cooperation, it should always be preferred to a one-man job. This axiom stems from this essential common belief among myriad cultures. Although some may find that being a part of a team can be distracting or time-consuming at times, I will argue that its advantages clearly outweigh those minor inconveniences.

First of all, having a team involved in a certain task is much more productive than assigning it to only 1 person. Together, they can brainstorm their ideas and discuss the possible outcomes of each. Through this approach, they are widening their horizons by encompassing the analytical and critical thinking of each member of this team and do not suffer from the fetters of limitation and restriction.

In a new study published last month in "Alahram Journal", 88% of those surveyed would rather work in a team than alone by themselves. The most compelling reason for this phenomenon was their genuine belief that the work load would be equally divided among their colleagues and they wouldn't have as much working hours. In reality, within the Egyptian job market, this actually checks! Since lots of organizations are now leading the cause to enforce a work day from 8 to 3 instead of the usualy 45-hour week, team work will prove even more advantageous where a job is done in a fraction of the time, presuming the team is working in sync.

Further, as an enterprise, who is seeking well-trained and highly-motivated indiviuals to hire, it would be an advantage assigning them to teams with more experienced employees. Thus, they learn from others and gain some of their experience bit by bit.

For the above stated reasons, I find no other stance but to be a complete protagonist for team work. It not only enhances the overall performance, but also assists in reducing the work load and allows inexperienced employees to get a head start on their career.

Could you please rate from 1 to 6, 1 being the worst?
Rajiv 55 / 400  
What would really add strength to your argument would be to take a counter reason, such as, why is it good sometimes that some work be done 'not' in a team. It'll expand the breath of the essay and make it of more interest to a reader. Creative work certainly comes in this category.

Thanks for your comments on my essay !
It'll be better if you say "people" instead of men.

lthough some may find that being a part of a team can be distracting or time-consuming at times, I will argue that its advantages clearly outweigh those minor inconveniences. (Right after this sentence, you might want to add a thesis statement that tries to capture in a single sentence the main theme of the essay... what you want the reader to remember.)

Oh... I just noticed Rajiv's idea... yes, that is the most important advice!!! Show that you recognize the importance of people sometimes working alone. For example, I tried to play a game of chess once with 2 people on each team. that did not go well!!!

For the above stated reasons, I find no other stance but to be a complete protagonist for team work. It not only enhances the overall performance, but also assists in reducing the work load and allows inexperienced employees to get a head start on their career.--- as long as there is good communication and a "common mental model."

I give this a 4, because it is a thoughtful argument but it neglects the other side of the question, which Rajiv encouraged you to look into. :-)

Home / Writing Feedback / Perspective on Team Work - A group working or individual work?