IELTS Task 1: The percentage of housing owned and rented in the UK in 1985 and 2005.

tiaDS 73 / 235 52  
The pie charts below show the percentage of housing owned and rented in the UK in 1985 and 2005. Summarize the information by describing the main features of the charts and making comparisions where appropiate.

The first chart shows the proportion of housing owned and rented in 1985 while the second chart gives information about the percentage of private and rent accommodation in 2005.

In general, most of people prefer to stay at the privately owned housing than live in social housing. Perhaps social housing has limited facilities which make people uncomfortable meanwhile private house is the appropriate place for inhabitants.

As seen, in the 1985, more than 50 percent was occupied by private housing and came to second council rented over than quarter. Moreover, the third and fourth places were privately rented and social housing which had the lower percentage. Interestingly, the number of people who chosen privately owned was the notable incline showed, while the percentage of council rented indicated the significant decline.

A more detailed look at the second graph informs that privately owned had had suitable accommodation which was the highest proportion (three-quarter) than others types housing. Followed by council rented and privately rented which stood in the second and third favorite housing had almost quarter of whole percentage. By doing so, social housing gained the lowest percentage in the 2005.

In conclusion, there was a dramatic grow from 22 to 27 million homes during 20 years, between 1985 and 2005.

MisterWandering 18 / 321 130  

Don't make your introduction too complicated.
The pie charts compare house ownership and renting in the UK in 1985 and 2005 in percentage terms.

You don't need to give a reason for the main features of the given graphs.
Overall, there was in increase in the total number of homes in the UK over the two-decade period. Likewise, privately owned houses were the most popular type of housing.

As seen , in the 1985, more than 50 percent was occupied by private housing and came to second council rented over than quarter.

In 1985, private houses accounted for over half of the total number of homes (22 million), which was about 20% higher than the second most common type, council rented houses.
In general, most of the people prefer to stay at the privately owned housing than live in social housing.

This is to test you on report writing skills. So your tone should strictly support report writing and what you tell should be only what you observe and not your conclusions. So, you shouldn't have said "most of the people prefer" , because their preference is not an observation here. We don't know whether they preferred or forced to do that due to some other reason. So, keep things more general to report your observations;

In general, the majority people have lived in privately owned houses and the least number of people have lived in social housing schemes.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS Task 1: The percentage of housing owned and rented in the UK in 1985 and 2005.