Paper about if public schools should require uniforms

Hollister81 1 / 1  
Uniforms. They are everywhere. Compulsory for many employees of companies, doctors, soldiers, private schools, they accompany us almost through all our life. And now even students in many public schools are obliged to wear them. For decades students, schools, and parents have budded heads over the issue of a student's attire at school. But do we really need them especially at this tender age. Will they make us more capable, more strict and studious? Students should be given the liberty to wear their choice of attire to school for these reasons: Interference of self-expression, family finances, uniforms are harmful to the transition to adulthood, and they only act as a 'band-aid' towards bulling, gang activities, and cliques.

School uniforms in public schools also conflict with a student's freedom of speech as well as their freedom of self expression. Starting from the time we were able to pick out our own clothing, people have been known to express their forming identities as well as how they are feeling. School uniforms demonstrate interference with ones self-expression and sense of creativity. Just by wearing them it discourages students by not allowing their true personality to shine through. In some cases it also offends certain religions or beliefs. According to bbc.co.uk (Survey Finds Support for Veil Ban) a study shows that 53% of Britons would support a ban on Muslim women wearing veils in school. Creating a school community based on homogeneity stifles creativity and could adversely affect the self-esteem of children. It could create more followers than leaders.

Purchasing school uniforms puts a strain on families, especially low income families. It is also unjust that parents are required to purchase these clothes when it interferes with their child's right to a free education. And though school uniforms may be inexpensive, it is sometimes a struggle for families who do not have the financial materials required to purchase casual clothing as well as clothing appropriate for the schools uniform policy. It is said that uniforms make students equal, thus stating that there is no competition on who has the best brands and styles. In reality the presence of competition is still present because it is easy to recognize who bought 20 different polos from American eagle and the kid that wears the same shabby polo from goodwill every day. The struggle goes on even deeper for multi-child homes.

Children need to learn diversity and that even though people are different they can still get along without having to look the same. Many researchers believe that children that are required to wear uniforms are affected in when they make the transition into adulthood. Young children are under the assumption that out there in the world everyone dresses the same and that to fit in you have to be like everyone else. In reality they will have trouble adjusting to the "real world" because they were taught that everyone is the same. Opponents believe controlling the socialization process could damage the student in throughout adulthood, as they are not prepared for the real world, where they will indeed be judged by their appearances.

It is said that wearing a uniform in school will eliminate bulling, gang activities, and the formation of cliques. Truth be told that uniforms only acts as a "band-aid" towards all three issues. It does of course decrease the amount of bulling on the way certain people dress, but it does not completely factor it out. Many schools allow you to buy uniforms from wherever you please, as long as it abides by their uniform code. Sure it is nice for the kid that can afford to go buy 20 new outfits from a brand name store, but what about the child who has only two shirts and one pair of pants from goodwill that has to last him for the whole school year? Regardless of what you wear, if people want to pick on you they will find a way to pick on you. Gangs will continue to form because they are not going to let a blue collared shirt change their style of life. The clothes don't form gangs, but it is one method of expressing it. And lastly cliques. Cliques will form anywhere and anytime, at work, at school, and even the gym. People will gravitate towards each other regardless of their choice of clothing. If you're destined to be friends or enemies it will happen one way or another. Clothes don't pick who you hang out with, you do.

As either a lesson of ways not to express yourself, a way to persuade children that everyone is the same, or just an expensive drain on family finances, public school uniforms are not healthy choice for the children of today. Uniforms may be in someone's favor in the morning when you need to get ready fast or how they make a slight decrease in bullying, but that's about it. Uniforms can stifle a child's way of self-expression or creativity. I can understand having uniforms in a private school, because if you can afford to be going to private school you should be able to afford a nice uniform. Though it is different in a public school due to the fact that it takes away a child's right to a free education. Bullying, gangs, and cliques form everywhere and wouldn't be stopped simply by a blue button up shirt or a khaki skirt. And the transition of childhood to adulthood is sometimes harmed because of the oh so helpful school uniforms, why take the risk. It is important for students to develop their own identities. With school uniforms it might encourage students to develop their own identities in different more harmful ways like smoking, drugs etc anything to set them apart from their peers. Public Schools should not even consider the option of uniforms because they are harmful to a child's personality, possible fincial issues, and future.
bxlnt 1 / 5  
According to bbc.co.uk (Survey Finds Support for Veil Ban) a study shows that 53% of Britons would support a ban on Muslim women wearing veils in school.

^ I wouldn't include the URL (link), doesn't seem to flow. Just use the title, I would say.

Home / Writing Feedback / Paper about if public schools should require uniforms