Nursing, My First Job Experience (narrative essay)

mdipeolu 4 / 6  
I need help for my narrative essay first draft in school.

As Iwas going around in the city in search for a job, a question that comes to my mind was how do I get job experience when nobody offered me for job? Although I just graduated from a three year College of Nursing few months ago, I couldn't find a job because the employers required only experienced candidates. Could you imaging being in my shoes? Statistics showed that there was over 2.9percent increase in the number of the unemployed in my country 2006. I got frustrated being one of this population and decided to go back home hoping luck will smile on me one day. As I was walking towards the house, the radiating beam from my sister's face made me wondering what had happened. After all, I was being told one Missionary hospital that i applied to called me for an interview in the next two days. I was happy because i knew it was time for me to be considered experienced in the labor market. I couldn't believe it when I got the job because the interview was like writing the Nursing Board exam itself. I was so delighted getting the job but my experience in this hospital was one I will never forget and will live to appreciate for the rest of my life. It was my first exposure to the real world in my field, thereby assisted me in learning how to be independent and be responsible for all my action. It also taught me that being at your best all the time will be of greater advantage to you in life.

My resumption day was a beautiful monday morning. On entering the unit i was assisgned to,I saw the head nurse and other staff holding a meeting. I greeted everyone and stood by the corner to listen to what was being said. They all seems delighted to see me because they had been shortage of staff for a while and my presence means more hands. While trying to adapt to my new situation, the next word i heard was "this is our new dummie and she will be working with us as a colleague. Please put her through when necessary." These were the words from the head nurse. I felt downgraded but the smiles and hugs from everyone in the room lifted my spirit. I knew I had to prove to the point that I am not a dummie. I was allocated to take care of about 15 clients with different disease conditions and no mistake is expected of me. I took my time to study their case files and started attending to them. One of the client was the most difficult client had ever met. She insisted that i will not touch her even after being persuaded for a very long time. I got resentful and kept imaging how i will cope in the future. It took the intervention of a senior staff to influence her decision. By the time my shift will be over , i had barely attended to half of the clients. The head Nurse decided to put me through how things should done faster. With her assistance,we were able to complete my tasks in a couple of hours. This made me realize why people say experience can not be brought with money but will be learnt with time.

Taking responsible for my action was something I am always afraid of while in college but being registered invested that power on me. For example, I drew attention of the dosage to a physician when he prescribed 15mg of brenadryl for a ten-year-old child; however, he said that the child needed medication and told me to give it to him. Eventually, the child was being put into almost 24 hours sleeping without eating and doing anything else. Nervously, I reported to my head nurse, who confronted the physician and blamed it on her but she insisted that it was my fault because i should have know that right dosage. My head nurse punished me by siezeing one of my off days because i didn't reported the incident to her before administering the drug.I was only lucky the child did't get worse and my license wasn't on the line of being suspended.

Also, maintaining a good relationship with the boss or other staff members bacame one of my priorties after my first job experience. My boss was the most understanding person i have ever met . Many people said she is weird, but I would say she is only disciplined and professional. On one faithful day, when I was on my way to a client, I saw a man and he asked me to assit him to go to a restroom. I told him to give me a couple minutes and I would be with him, but he started shouting and screaming?. After finishing my errands, I walked to him but he started to kick, hit, and abuse me. I was calm and apologized for the waiting. Also, I showed him to the restroom but he still complained to the overall matron in charge who decided that she would punish me without even listening to my explanation. My saving grace was my immediate boss who told her that I am one of her best nurses and I have never abused any client. This showed me the power of good interpersonal relationship.

In conclusion, my first job was full of experiences: good, bad, bitter and happy moments I can't even remember but they shapened me to be a better person and be more professional. I discovered that some people can just decided to be more difficult to test your response in certain situations and see if you will be patient enough with them. Infact, being accomodating and friendlier with clients and colleagues became my watch word because you don't know who will be your saving grace on the bad days.
KathyLala 20 / 116  
These are my ideas if you want to consider. Remember to type I, not "i" and I am, not just "am"

As i was going around in the city in search of a job, the only question that comes to my mind was ; how do i get this job experience when nobody is offering me a job?<= (You make a semicolon in a compound sentence; however, this is not a complete sentence "As i was going around in the city in search of a job, the only question that comes to my mind was")=>As I was going around in the city to search for a job, a question that came to my mind was how do I get job experience when nobody has offered me for a job.

I just graduated from a three year College of Nursing few months ago, and all my effort to get a job proved abortive because the open vacancies are for people with experience.<=(I'm not sure with your writing "and all my effort to get a job proved abortive", but it sounds vague and unclear "=> Although I just graduated from a three year College of Nursing few months ago, I couldn't find a job because the employers required only experienced candidates.

As i approached the house, i saw my sister smiling at me. This made me wonder what the smiling was all about only to be told a Missionary hospital call the home phone that i should resume in the next two days.<=(I don't use "approached", use "arrived" better in this sentence because you're already at home)=>As I arrived home, I saw my sister smilling at me, which made me wondering what had happened. After all, I was been told that the Missionary hospital called and said that I should send my resume within the next two days.

I was happy because i know it is time for me to be considered experienced in the labour market => I was happy because I would have a chance to get my dreamed (high-paid salary,...) job.

(AFTER THIS SENTENCE YOU SHOULD TELL THE READER YOU GOT ACCEPTED, AND THEN YOU CONNECT THE IDEA WITH YOUR THESIS...=> My experience in this hospital was the one ...

As i entered the ward i was posted to, the head nurse and other staff were holding a meeting
=>When I entered the door, I saw the head nurse and other staff..

...this people that am not a dummie=>...these people that I am not...

I took my time to study their case files and started attenting to then according to priority and urgency("attenting to then according to priority and urgency"<= What you mean by this?)

By the time my shift will be over , i have barely attended to half of the patients (you are talking about the past experience, don't use "will" and present perfect tense)

=>By the time my shift was over , i had barely attended to half of the patients

The head Nurse came to me and showed me how things will be done faster=>The head nurse came to me and showed me how things should have done faster

This made me realise.... learnt with time=> This made me realize...learned with time

...something am always afraid of while in college...=>something I am always afraid of while in college
A good example was the day a physician prescribed 15mg of brenadryl for a child of 10 years old. I drew his attention to the dosage but he said the child needs it=>For example, I drew attention of the dosage to a physician when he prescribed 15mg of brenadryl for a ten-year-old child; however, he said that the child needed medication and told me to give it to him. Eventually, the child was being put into almost 24 hours sleeping without eating and doing anything else. Nervously, (or other adverb) I reported to my head nurse, who confronted the physician and blamed on her (or him)

=>I was lucky because the child didn't get worse, and my license wouldn't have been on the line of being suspended.
=>Also, maintaining a good relationship with a boss became one of my priorties after my first job experience. My boss was the most understanding person I have ever met . Many people said she is weird, but I would say she is only disciplined and professional. On one faithful day, when I was on my way to a patient, I saw a man and he asked me to assit him to go to a restroom.(is this what you mean?) I told him to give me a couple minutes and I would be with him, but he started shouting and (screaming?). After finishing my errands, I walked to him but he started to kick, hit, and abuse me. I was calm and apologized for the waiting. Also, I showed him to the restroom but he still complained to the overall matron in charge who decided that she would punish me without even listening to my explanation. My saving grace was my immediate boss who told her that I am one of her best nurses and I have never abused any client. This showed me the power of good interpersonal relationship.
You have a problem with spacing here.
As Iwas going around ...

Change comes to came.

was, "How do I get job experience when nobody offers me a job?" Although I just...

They all seems seemed delighted to see me, because they...

had been experiencing a shortage of...

On one faithful fateful day, when I was...

Spacing again: Infact , being accomodating and...In fact, being accommodating and ...

:-)

Home / Writing Feedback / Nursing, My First Job Experience (narrative essay)