[TOEFL] The number of cars will increase in the future

john6503 9 / 27  
Cars have been perceived as one of the greatest human inventions for its convinence and far traveling distances. In relation to this phenomenon, the question has been arisen as to whether the number of cars will increase in the future or not. In my opinion, I agree that there will be more cars in the future in consequence of increase in population and the emergence of fuel and cost efficent cars.

To begin with, growing world population can cause high demands for cars. With advancements in human technology and medical science, world population has been rapidly growing in connection with increase in average human life span. Since the relationship between number of cars and human population are correlated, increase in the number of cars are unavoidable. One study has found that the number of cars in U.S. has almost tripled after the World War 2, time when increase in population started in America. Judging from this trend, it is safe to conclude that more people will purchase or drive their own vehicles in the future.

Furthemore, more and more people will be able to purchase cars that are both cost and fuel efficent. It is general knowledge that cars are run by patrol. However, since there are only limited amount of patrol remaining on the earth, scientists and engineers are now trying to come up with alternative cars that can be driven by renewable energies such as electronically chargable. For example, the current U.S. president, Barack Obama, has recently proposed an idea of replacing high polluting automobiles with new fuel and cost efficent automobiles in the country. If this proposal brings to effect, it is expected that increasing number of people would be willing to purchase cars for its benefits both financially and environmentally.

In conclusion, I strongly believe that there will be more car consumption in the future because trend of increasing population and for further development in cars.

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------
Please someone give advice on my grammar:)
Also, do you say increase in "a number of cars" or "the number of cars"?
and is it "an increase in~" or just "increase in~"
This article "a/an, the" is driving me crazy lol!!

I'm sorta stuck in a(the?) second paragraph.
For example, if you say "fuel efficent cars", does that also imply to you that
it would be cost efficent as well since they are renewable energies(?) or whatever.

And for those who give advice, you guys are my true mentors and heroes.
EF_Simone 2 / 1,986  
First, your questions:

do you say increase in "a number of cars" or "the number of cars"?

the number of cars

an increase in

That's very common! Stick with it, and read as much English as you can so that the difference will start to sound normal to you.

f you say "fuel efficent cars", does that also imply to you that

Not necessarily. At present, hybrid vehicles, which are extremely fuel-efficient, are extremely expensive. You could argue, however, that the combination of advances in hybrid technology and economies of scale gained as demand for these cars increases will, over time, lead them to be less expensive and thereby more cost-effective.

Now, let's look at grammar.

You write:Cars have been perceived as one of the greatest human inventions for its convinence and far traveling distances.
Notice that "cars" -- which is plural -- is the subject of the sentence. But then you use the pronoun "it" to stand in for the subject later in the sentence. This creates a mismatch. Instead, say:Cars have been perceived as one of the greatest human inventions for theirconvenience and ability to travel far distances.
OP john6503 9 / 27  
Again, thanks for such detailed answer:)
I guess the best way to solve my problem with the article is just to read heaps:p
Also, cars run on petrol, not patrol. As long as we have a surplus of people, we will never run out of potential patrols. Petrol, on the other hand, is currently a polluting, non-renewable resource, though it does not have to be.
tiantian12 8 / 47  
My comment on conclusion part:
In conclusion, I strongly believe that there will be more car consumption in the future because of the increase in population and people's inclination to use things that are convenient and efficient.
In fact, the conclusion could do with some serious cutting:

Before: "In conclusion, I strongly believe that there will be more car consumption in the future because of the increase in population and people's inclination to use things that are convenient and efficient"

After: "Car consumption will increase with the population because of people's inclination to use things that are convenient and efficient."

Home / Writing Feedback / [TOEFL] The number of cars will increase in the future