TOEFL writing: A new university will be established in the community. Agree or not?

jennyelbow 1 / 2  
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? A new university will be established in the community.

It is said that a university education can fortify our values, enhance our skills, and broaden our horizons. A university in our community will provide more opportunities for people to obtain the higher education. With the evolution over the past several years, governments of every country raise the awareness of the importance of establishing universities in the community. However, some people may hold the opinion that building the university is a waste of money, while others have an opposite attitude that its advantages outweigh the disadvantages. As far as I am concerned, I totally agree with this statement. Among countless factors which influence my perspective, there are three conspicuous aspects as follows.

To begin with, the establishment of a university in the community provides the residents with an additional place to go during their leisure time. There are many facilities in the campus. They may go to library for reading and go to the gym for exercising. In other words, they can easily spend their pastime in the campus instead of going to the department store and squandering their money.

Secondly, it can prompt the development of the community. It is obvious that more tourists will want to come here and visit the school, which makes the whole community be more prosperous. For example, in Taiwan, National Taiwan University is in Gongguan area in Taipei. Because of waves of tourists coming to Gongguan, more and more shops and restaurants spring up around here. Gongguan night market becomes a famous spot for tourists. There are some must-go restaurants where people coming here always enjoy the delicacy.

Last but not least, a university in our campus can also enhance our living environment. We know that some regulations are enforced according to the establishment of a university. For instance, there should not be noisy activities around the university, which may cause the disturbance of students' learning. Thanks to the regulation, the habitants benefits from this as well. They can have a quieter environment and enhance their living quality.

As the Chinese proverb goes, "A coin has two sides." Some people worry that too many universities might be a burden of a country. I am convinced that before establishing a new university in a community, the government will go through a thorough evaluation. The advantages are beyond dispute. To sum up, taking account of all these aforementioned reasons, we may safely draw the conclusion that building a university in the community is beneficial to all the residents and the whole living conditions.
However, while some people may hold the opinion that spending on building thea new university is a waste of money, while others have an opposite attitudeargue that its advantages outweigh theits disadvantages.

To begin with, the establishment of a university in the community provides the residents with an additional place to go during their leisure time. There are many facilities in the campus. They may go to library for reading and go to the gym for exercising. In other words, they can easily spend their pastime in the campus instead of going to the department store and squandering their money.---------- do universities allow anybody (other than their students and staff) to use their facilities freely?? I am not sure.
OP jennyelbow 1 / 2  
Thank you so much for your revision:)

BTW, for the question you mentioned, if people may use their ID card or other effective(is this the right word?) cards, they mat enter the library. As to the gym, people can use it, but it charges them for different prices.
If people may use their ID card or other effective cards, they may enter the library. As to the gym, people can use it, but it charges them for various prices.---It may be okay this way. I am not sure if I understand correctly. "Effective" was not a good word.

Last but not least, a university in our campus community can also enhance our living environment.

For instance, there should not be noisy activities around the university, which may cause the disturbance of students' learning. ---Ha ha, at the university I attended, we were the ones causing all the noise.

Thanks to the regulation, the inhabitants benefits benefit as well.

:-)
OP jennyelbow 1 / 2  
Thank you for your correction.
I appreciate so much :D

I am also the one causing the noise actually lol
the regulation does not work..haha

Home / Writing Feedback / TOEFL writing: A new university will be established in the community. Agree or not?