Neolithical Agricultural Revolution (change to society)

otacbateman 2 / 7  
I am looking for feedback on this thesis i had to do on a non poltical revolution. I chose the Neolithical Agricultural Revolution. the criteria for this thesis are as follws: Identify one nonpoltical revolution that brought about important intellectual, economic, and social change to society and: Describe two changes brought about by this nonpoltical revolution and Discuss one impact this nonpoltical revolution had on a specific society. any feedback is welcome, please read!

Throughout time there have been many important nonpolitical revolutions. These revolutions changed accepted ideas in areas including agriculture, settlement and science. The Neolithic Agricultural Revolution was perhaps the most important non political revolution. Without the advances made during this revolution, the society and culture that we know today would be drastically different.

There were many changes brought about by this agricultural revolution. The Neolithic Revolution brought us out of the Old stone age, a period when humans were hunting and gathering nomads. One change is the change from hunting and gathering to farming. When the ice age came to an end, it was easier for plants to grow in abundance. Humans started planting and domesticating seeds and different plants. They were able to successfully grow different grains, which lead to surpluses. According to the book Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond "They [were able to] constitute 90 percent rather than 0.1 percent of the biomass on an acre of land." This increase is what allowed civilizations to thrive and develop.

As well domesticating plants, we also domesticated animals such as sheep, cows, the ox and other large mammals. They contributed to agricultural as well. Their manure proved as a useful fertilizer, and still today is the preferred plant fertilizer. Also, animals such as the horse cow, and ox were used to pull plows. This allowed greater areas of land to be plowed much faster, it also allowed thicker, and rockier soil to be farmed. Animals such as cows also provided milk which then could be made into butter, cheese and other dairy items. Animals were no longer only killed for meat and clothing, but they were domesticated and used for many more things. The domestication of animals is very important to the lifestyle we sustain today. The idea of keeping animals as pets was developed during this revolution, something that is a large part of our culture today

The Neolithic Agricultural Revolution has had a huge impact on societies and civilizations all over the world. One great impact it had was the growth and development of cities. The Fertile Crescent in the Middle East was one of the first settled civilizations. This wouldn't have been possible if not for the domestication of plants and animals. Human's ability to farm created surplus, mentioned earlier in this thesis, and surplus allowed populations to thrive, simply because there was more food. Before this settlement, there was not enough food in nomadic cultures to support a lot of people. Now that farming created surplus, small farming villages developed into huge thriving cities such as Mesopotamia and Assyria. These great empires, and many others were a direct result of the Neolithic Agricultural Revolution.

Although not as well known as revolutions such as the Industrial Revolution or the Chinese Cultural Revolution, the Neolithic Agricultural Revolution was perhaps the most important and influential revolution that contributed to modern living. Without these advances in agriculture we would still be nomads roaming the land in search of food and shelter.
Throughout time, there have been many important nonpolitical revolutions.

These revolutions have changed accepted ideas in areas including agriculture, settlement and science.

The Neolithic Revolution brought us out of the Old stone age, a period when humans were hunting and gathering nomads.---This sounds a little funny; .."when humans were hunting and gathering nomads"...just sayin'. :)

Their manure proved to be a useful fertilizer, and still today is the preferred plant fertilizer.

Also, animals such as the horse, cow, and ox were used to pull plows.

This allowed greater areas of land to be plowed much faster, itand also allowed thicker, and rockier soil to be farmed.

... this revolution, something that is a large part of our culture today.

Well written and a great ending! Good luck in school and have fun!

:)
OP otacbateman 2 / 7  
thank you! does when humans hunted and gathered as nomads sound better?
Yes! Did you see the humor there?
OP otacbateman 2 / 7  
Haha yes we dont want our ancestors hunting nomads

Home / Writing Feedback / Neolithical Agricultural Revolution (change to society)