Money spent on the Arts by a government and number of participants in arts.

Geenesh 21 / 29  
The pie charts illustrate the amount of money spent on the Arts by a government while the bar graph presents the number of participants in the Arts events in 1995 and 2005.

From the pie charts, it is evident that in 1995, the music division received most of the government's support which was almost 50%. Contrastingly, in 2005, both the music component and the theatre seemed to be receiving approximately 38% each of the government's fund. Nevertheless, there is a rise in the number of people taking part in the event ( 25 000 people ) from 1995 to 2005. Interestingly, the visual arts which obtained about a quarter of the fund in 1995 shrunk to less than two tenth in 2005. In correlation to that, a decrease of about 4% is noted in the number of participants in that event. On the other hand, as the government gave more attention to the literature component in 2005( approximately 12%) compared to that in 1995 ( around 8%) , there is a positive growth of about one third in the support given by the public.

- help me to correct my essay and also to give me ideas on how to present my ideas.. sorry couldnt upload the pie charts.
( 25 000 people )

What have we got going on here... It should not have these extra spaces. Just do this:
(25,000 people)

tenths
shrunk to less than two tenths in 2005.---You need the s because you have more than one tenth. :-)

A good way to present your ideas is to look at the whole chart and make an observation. What is the most important observation?
Next, write a sentence about each item on the chart. Finally, write one last sentence, and make it a sentence about some piece of advice you could give based on the chart.

That is only one strategy. You don't have to do it that way, but it works. I hope that helps!
OP Geenesh 21 / 29  
thanks EF_Kevin.. and another question. how else can we present the data? for example, one way is to put the numbers, other is in percentages, then using fractions. is there any other ways to present them?
An unlimited number of ways can be used... and it depends on your purpose. The way you present data always should be determined by the purpose you are trying to achieve. You will impress the reader if you write something that really has a unique meaning... something you would write if you were a professional television personality or something like that.

However, I bet the guidelines for the test give you several specific methods. I don't know what they are, but they are probably in the literature and examples that you can get to prepare for the test... sorry! :-)
ajit88rai 22 / 188 3  
Hi Sangeetha and Kevin,
firstly sangeetha , in ielts writing task 2 is much more important than task 1. so better manage ur time accordingly.

- the word limit in task 1 is min 150 words. however i wud say that in ielts task one -do not write more than 200 words. while in task 2-try n limit urself within 350-375 words-do not cross 400 for sure.

- representing the data- well this is a tricky thing-different ppl will do it differently- i wud tell u one such tip- when the data given is less- try n cover all the numbers,percentages etc. when data is more-try to highlight the main points only. its all about comparing the data-

-for example u r given a bar chart representing the defence budget of various countries. ofcourse USA would top it by far- followed my maybe russia, UK,france,germany,india,china etc... now for writing such a task- i wud say that just isolate usa as it is leading comprehensively-just say tht this detail shows that usa is a superpower n has a sound economy . but when it comes to china n india- u can say that the so-called developing countries are also now concerned about their defence and since their economy is currently booming- they are spending increasingly ..

-i hope i gave u what kinda general conclusion u have to derive from the datas.

-last but not the least- i got 6.5 band in writing- just coz i screwed up my task 2 structure... i had always advised ppl to write five para at least but in the exam i wrote four paras... maybe too much anxiety on my part- so just know that u need to keep ur mind calm- eveb if the topic of essay is beyond ur thinking.

good luck n i hope u wil find the help useful.
OP Geenesh 21 / 29  
thanks kevin and ajit for the useful tips ...

Home / Writing Feedback / Money spent on the Arts by a government and number of participants in arts.