'modern lifestyle isolates people from their families' - IELTS TASK2: BIG FAMILY OR SMALL FAMILY

Guang 2 / 6 2  
Hi everyone, appreciate your help

Question: In many countries today, people in cities either live alone or in small family units, rather than in large, extended family groups. Is this a positive or negative trend?

With the astounding development of information technology and transportation, people today can live and work wherever they could. Consequently, they tend to live in relatively small families than before and keep distance with their elderly family members. From my perspective, this phenomenon is harmful to individuals. Its affects on people are twofold.

Primarily, living alone is likely to make people to suffer mental diseases. Working adults in big cities usually focus on career development and have to face stiff competition in employment. Sometimes, they may feel under stiff pressure but have no idea how to relief it. By contrast, those who live near with their big family groups could seek advise from other family members who have similar experience . As a result, it is easier for them to maintain a healthy state of mind and cope with stress.

Another problem of this trend is tied to its impact on education of the next generation. Children from small family tend to grow up with less social skills, comparing with those whose parents frequently keep contact with their kins. For example, working parents are unlikely to teach their children how to communicate with other family members, since their children have no opportunity to live with their grandparents or siblings. As a result, children might be unable to manage their social relationship in their working lives due to the lack of relevant skills which should be acquired mainly from their family.

It is fact that people can avoid boring family activities if they live in other cities or even countries, thereby concentrating on their pursuit of career or business. They could achieve great level of attainment despite the truth that they lose connection with their family ties.

In conclusion, modern lifestyle isolates people from their big family. This poses a threat to people's mental health and has a negative impact on their children. Without taking proper action, this trend will undermine the social cohesion in the coming decades.
daveandrei 14 / 8 5  
Hi, Guang. This essay is a good one, but have a few mistakes.
Let me give you suggestions.
Hope it helpful.

With the astounding development of information technology and transportation,
I think it is not about technology and transportation, you should not write out of topic.

Its affects on people are twofold.
It is better if you make it clearly about your opinion.

In conclusion, modern lifestyle isolates people from their big family.
You did not explain about modern lifestyle in your body paragraph. I think it is a good way if you explain in a great detail.

Home / Writing Feedback / 'modern lifestyle isolates people from their families' - IELTS TASK2: BIG FAMILY OR SMALL FAMILY