'Lack of Respect' - essay edit

xsarabae 1 / -  
Lack of Respect

Respect is needed for a society to work well. In past generations children were taught by their parents to respect their elders, the law, the president, others, and themselves. Today some children are raised to only think of themselves and to not respect their elders or their surroundings. Citizens do not respect themselves, others, and their surroundings. People affected by lack of respect can have low self-esteem. Depending on the severity it can also lead to depression or even suicide. Lack of respect is a large issue in society.

Lack of respect is prevalent in New Fairfield, CT as residents fail to keep their park clean. As Kevin Kahn took a stroll through his childhood park he was amazed by the amount of lack of respect visitor's show to their park. Shards of glass were found on the sides of paths. Broken beer cans and bottle caps are found throughout the park within feet from the previous one. Kahn talks about how glass bottles take one million years to decompose. Apples and banana peels may be suspected to decompose quickly but Kahn explains to readers they take two to five weeks to decompose (Kahn). He says, "Are we that disrespectful of nature that we can't save our trash until we get back to our homes or to a garbage can?" (Kahn). Many people are amazed of the impact people have made on nature. If lack of respect to the environment continues the world all live in might die.

During Christmas time lack of respect is shown through the prevalence of cutting in lines. During the holidays many people wait to the last minute to shop for their Christmas presents. Because of this factor lines a few days before Christmas or on sale days like Black Friday can extend for hours. Because of these long lines people tend to be very impatient. Many citizens don't care about others because they only have respect for themselves. During my trip to Kohl's about three days before Christmas I witnessed this. I watched as a girl cut in front of twenty people. Maybe it was because she had a crying child and she was in a rush but that is no reason to cut in line. Her lack of respect made many people farther in line very agitated, even myself. I'm sure we all had are reasons to get out fast also. It didn't surprise me when soon an angry woman in line confronted her about this. She said she didn't realize and that it was a mistake but we all knew she was lying. If people were more patient and had more respect for others Christmas time shopping would be much easier and less stressful.

The boys showed lack of respect to the UNICEF employees in A Long Way Gone. During the war, the children were brainwashed to trust no one that was not wearing the government army uniform. The boys wanted no part in being taken off to a new place. They felt disrespected by their commander feeling they weren't fit enough for war. When they arrived at the rehabilitation center they chased the employees. They began to beat some of them including the cook. They would but a bucket on his head. They also left their mattresses outside even thought the employees kept bringing them inside. This showed lack of respect because the employees treated them kindly and with respect. Ismael says, "As soon as they started speaking, we would throw bowls, spoons, food, and benches at them" (Beah 138).

Angelina Johnson treats her students with respect resulting in positive feedback. Johnson has respect for the children she teaches. Because Johnson shows her students she cares about them, they care about the class. Angelina listens to what her students has to say and she takes in their opinions. She also teaches her students real life lessons which make them more interested (Teacher Uses Respect to Connect with Kids). Johnson says, "It is exciting to listen to kids to see how they are thinking" (Teacher Uses Respect to Connect with Kids).

Many things can be done to address this issue. If people were more kind to others it would help. It is remarkable how much manners truly help. When one is asked how they are in a store from a clerk it is nice to hear. Sometimes it is the only nice thing one will hear all day. Also learning how to appreciate more things in society will teach one to respect the little things in life. If more people were respectful the world would be more positive in lively. Lack of respect brings so many people down and without it the world would be happier.
Today, some children are raised to only think of themselves and to not respect their elders or their surroundings.

Citizens do not respect themselves, others, and their surroundings. ---Too much like the previous sentence.

Depending on the severity, it can also lead to depression or even suicide.

As Kevin Kahn took a stroll through his childhood park he was amazed by the amount of lack of respect visitor's show to this park.

Rusty beer cans and bottle caps are found throughout the park within feet from the previous one.---The previous what?

Many people are amazed by the impact we have made on nature.

If lack of respect to the environment continues the world we all live in might die.

During the holidays many people wait til the last minute to shop for their Christmas presents.

Angelina listens to what her students have to say and she listens to their opinions.

If more people were respectful the world would be more positive and lively.

I respect your opinions here!

:)
cabotbp 1 / 4  
Looks great!

Home / Writing Feedback / 'Lack of Respect' - essay edit