TOEFL: 'The knowledge is power, not the grades' - Do grades encourage students to learn?

anhle 1 / 1  
Do you agree or disagree with the following statement? Grades ( marks) encourage students to learn. Use specific reasons and examples to support your opinion.

Source: 185 toefl writing topics and model essays

Every student going to school wants to learn as much as possible with the help of teachers. In schools, students don't only read books, listen to lectures, they also have to take the examinations at the end of the course. The marks given by teachers will help to reflect the student learning ability. It is believed that marks encourage students to learn.

First of all, good grades show how careful they are in studying and listening what the teacher had said and during the test. Grades reflect the ability in learning fundamental subjects like Maths, Language, Science, etc. However, the higher education you get the harder you have to study.It requires to read more books and do the test more carefully.Providing that you get high grades after studying hard, you will believe in yourself much more. When you receive what you work hard,as a result, you will be truly happy.

In other word, good grades make you believe more in yourself and you are eager to learn more as well. A friend of mine told me that she didn't like Maths at first when she was 10.Then one time, her teacher asked the kids to do a difficult exercise and whoever had it done first would have a high grade.Of course, with my friend's competitive spirit,she didn't let that chance go.Since that"small competition", she has become more interested in Maths and Maths is no longer her problem in school.That story really shows a big role of grades in student's life.

There are so many benefits for good-graded student.For example, when it comes to evaluate a student, the first thing they look at is grades.Additionally, in the society which is full of competition like getting scholarships, it requires good grades at first.By comparison, good grades make a student stand out the others. Further more, when students bring home a report card with good grades, they will usually be praised by their mother and father. The feeling of making their parents proud would definitely give students a big motivation to keep studying hard and more effectively to get higher grades. Grades don't only have advantages but they also have some disadvantages. The first one is that spending time too much in studying will keep students from socical life, out door activities like sports. Moreover, grades can not reflect students ' learning ability correctly if treating happens . Sometimes, not being able to get good grades doesn't prove that student is lazy or absent-minded.They are good at something else that can not be simply evaluated by grades.

In sum, I totally believe that grades play an important role in student's ordinary life.Likewise, achieving good grades can givr student advantages also disadvantages, so be a clever student when studying.Because, after all, the knowledge is the power, not the grades.
jannychen 2 / 7 1  
to make your essay more formal . thanks.
Well you need to improve your structure a lot if you want to earn a good score for this TOEFL Independent Writing Task. Your whole essay looks like just one para.
OP anhle 1 / 1  
thank you! I will re-write this essay as your guidance and I'll post it next Thursday
tippabim 3 / 6 1  
I like your idea that show both advantages and disadvantages of grading.
However, f you state your side clearly in the conclusion part that whether educational institution should implement grading to evaluate students or not, it will be better.

Home / Writing Feedback / TOEFL: 'The knowledge is power, not the grades' - Do grades encourage students to learn?