Integrated Writing Task; Research Writing and Quotation

nephop 1 / -  
Throughout the article, the differences between professor attitudes towards research writing and quotation and student attitudes have affected academic life. Student and faculty attitudes towards research and writing, Thomas Fink and Academic integrity and student plagiarism: a question of education, not ethics, Susan D. Blum. Fink and Blum states, how students can be students successful if they follow the simple direction of the instructor. This raises a question; does one's attitude towards research and writing make individuals reach their goals in school? In my claim if students and professors can both cooperate to try to learn or teach, they can create a better learning environment.

Many students rush through their academic works without following the proper process of instructor or professors rules. As Susan D. Blum states that the students "are in hurry" and "may dash off a paper seeking mainly to satisfy requirements regarding number of pages, references, quotations.' (Qtd. Fink 21) This passage explains that, students just want to get their work done as soon as it is possible, without knowing the outcomes of it. For example, students usually just focused on getting their work done and getting a good grade by basing their research on the requirements that was asked. However, I myself do that very often because I have lots of other assignments due. It's usually one after another, so rather than sitting down and really thinking about it; I just rush through to get it done as fastest as possible.

There are many positive and negative effects of rushing through coursework. The positive effect of rushing through the homework's is that you don't waste time or procrastinate and you get it done right in time. On the other hand, it also can result in a negative way because the student does not revise it carefully and they end up with a failing grade or close to it.

According comes to the academic field, teaching research writing to student can be quite challenging for professor as well. In this case if both student and faculty cooperate together then they can lead the student to write a better research paper without any problems. In order to that, student first has to stop plagiarizing and follow the instruction of professor. As the author claims, "Blum argues that students are not inclined to follow professors' instructions about quoting 'in an academic context.' In which they are suppose to 'slow way down, set up boundaries around each little piece of text, trace its origin, and document its source."' This quote illustrates that, most students do not care much about giving credit to the original writers and just borrow their context from the original work. So that way, we do not quote in the right way which makes it harder for professors to trace it to the origin of the source.

The use of quotations can lead to negative problems if not used correctly as the instructor has instructed. For example, one downside of not using it correctly can result of plagiarizing. In order to avoid that, a student needs to learn from the professor how to write a research paper without stealing any work from the original author without giving them the credit. If failed to do so, the student will end up with "F' on his/her paper. On the other hand, if a student learns the proper way of academic writing he/she would have better chance to get an "A" on the paper. Another positive thing of avoiding plagiarizing that you will get across your own ideas to the world by not stealing someone else's words and work. Therefore, learning best way to avoid plagiarizing is a key to successful academic writing.

The difference between student and faculty attitudes towards research and writing is a problem for both student and faculty in an academic field. As Fink stated, "There is no obvious way for professor to "convert" resistant students into "sincere," "engaged" learners or for students to "convert professors into paragons..." (Fink 23) This quote reflects on both student and professor has to compromise and respect each other so that professor can teach and improve the student to be successful in academic field. (Writing skills) In my opinion, this matter is a very good idea to develop student's academic learning and professor's academic teaching. Furthermore, the main thing is to compromise and be fair to work things out together to reach the goal.

Does one's attitude towards research and writing make individuals reach their goals in school? I do believe that one's attitude towards research and writing makes individuals reach their goals in school. Thus, One idea that was pointed out throughout the essay was compromising and cooperating between the professor and the student. This helps the student to achieve a better grade and professor to become a better instructor. Therefore, I suggest that professors should devote time to students. So they do not make the mistakes they did in previous writing on research reading, writing, quotation and citation.
Throughout the article, the differences between professor attitudes towards research writing and quotation and student attitudes have affected academic life.

Are you referring to this article? It's not very clear :( The sentence sounds a bit confusing to me ... what affects academic life?
Throughout this article, the differences between the attitudes of professors and students with regard to research writing and citing quotations ...

how students can be students successful if they follow the simple direction of the instructor.

... successful in what? in research?
how students can be successful in research if they follow simple guidelines of the instructor.
Is this for TOEFL Integrated writing? Mention the purpose in the subject so that other can provide you with more task related comments.

....This is not a very clear sentence. This is what I guess;
Throughout the article, it discusses the differences between the attitudes of professors and students in respect of research writing and quotation.

Student and faculty attitudes towards research and writing, Thomas Fink and Academic integrity and student plagiarism: a question of education, not ethics, Susan D. Blum.

.... what are these? I cannot make any connection :(

Home / Writing Feedback / Integrated Writing Task; Research Writing and Quotation