TOEFL Independent Essay - "To change or not to change"

luiza_rv 1 / 1  
"Some people enjoy change, and they look forward to new experiences. Others like their lives to stay the same, and they do not change their usual habits. Compare these two approaches to life. Which approach do you prefer? Explain why."

Human beings are in a constant changing process. From the moment a person is born till the end of his life, changes happen in his body, mind and world comprehension. This might be difficult to deal with for some people, which leads to the preference for not changing everyday habits and trying to keep controllable things as they are. On the other side, some people enjoy variety and look foward to things that might happen when something changes, and I include myself in this last group of people.

Most humans have a daily routine, which includes working or studying, eating, sleeping, and so on. In the current world that we live in, such routine is necessary. However, it turns our everyday life into a repeating cycle, making life a little bit uninteresting. In addition, it might even lead a person into questioning his own existance. Thus, in order to add excitement to a day-to-day routine, I personally change little things in my everyday life. For example, when going to college, I try to take different routes, in order to see different places in my own city. I also try to meet new people everyday, which is a great way to discover new points of view, interests and things that I've never heard of before.

It is true that I also enjoy things that do not change. I appreciate the fact that I have a bed to sleep on every night and that I can sit down and relax everyday after a long journey of tests and classes. However, when I change things, I add a feeling that is even better than what is constant in my life gives. For example, I am used to go to my own house everyday after college, but sometimes I like to go out with my friends and visit new places. We have been to several restaurants, parties, or even to each other's houses. These moments with them are the best memories I have from my college years so far, which makes me really happy and glad that I was able to try new experiences.

In conclusion, even though I appreciate things that are constant in my life, I enjoy much more the feeling of changing. Changes not only because provide me the opportunity to see new places or meet new and incredible people, but also because allow me to have amazing moments in my life and making it more interesting.
HI Luiza, I agree with TJ about the slight repetitiveness on your language usage. Using the same term over and over again throughout an essay makes the reading redundant and shows a limited scope when it comes to your English vocabulary. While the TOEFL examiner may not night the constant grammar usage since the TOEFL essay is more of a comprehension than grammar test, it would not hurt your essay if you could vary the words that you use to describe the same things. This is something that you can do through the use of a thesaurus. While I will not advise you to buy a thesaurus just for the test, I will encourage you to use an online thesaurus while you write your practice tests.

A Google search can help you find the thesaurus that you will be most comfortable using for the purpose of your TOEFL practice tests. I suggest that you use a thesaurus when writing your practice tests on your own time so that you can build your vocabulary while discovering new ways of saying the same things. Being able to do so will help you limit the reader boredom that can set in for the examiner during the actual scoring of your essay test.

I suggest that you try to revise this prompt response using a thesaurus, You will find that it will help improve the content of your essay and allow you to present information on a more interesting and varied level to the reader. Don't be afraid to try using different words in your essay, it is just part of your English learning curve at this point. So go ahead and practice, learn, and seek more advice about how to improve your essay writing skills :-)
OP luiza_rv 1 / 1  
TJLuschen, Nofrinorman and vangiespen, thank you very very much for your kind feedback. It is very useful! I thought that more things might be wrong with my essay, but knowing that the vocabulary is the main reason will help a lot :D Thank you for the suggestions and for the indication of the thesaurus!

Nofrinoman, I would be glad to help you with your essays but I don't think I have enough knowledge to do so xD However, I will read them for sure :)

Thank you all again!

Home / Writing Feedback / TOEFL Independent Essay - "To change or not to change"