SAT Essay: Are all heroes eventually forgotten?

szhang25 15 / 21 8  
It would be great if I could get some feedback on this essay in the context of the old SAT test. I really want to improve on creating relevance to my thesis within my body paragraphs, and linking support back to my main idea. I also want to know how to make my conclusion and intro stronger, and possibly what score range this essay would be in (1-12). Thank you!

Prompt: Are there some heroes who will be remembered forever? Or are all heroes doomed to be forgotten one day?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow once wrote that "Time has a doomsday book, on whose pages he is continually recording illustrious names. But as often as a new name is written there, an old one disappears." It is true that as the present passes into history, certain people will be forgotten. However, at the same time other names survive each passing century without ever fading. Through literary preservation, some heroes are remembered forever.

Greek literature is a classical example of the ability for stories to last. The stories of Hercules, Perseus and Odysseus have lasted for thousands of years, and are retold every generation. The fact that those tales have been physically recorded gives the heroes a permanent feeling that society has rushed to maintain. Whether through movies or plays, the books holding these stories inspire those who read them to reinterpret and recreate them, fostering a mission to continue those heroes' legacies.

Contemporary books share the same cultural preservation as well. Fantasy bestseller Harry Potter has become so iconic that the name is synonymous with the creative aspect of modern literature. Although Harry Potter and other similar recent books have existed far less time than Odysseus, they have already had the same impact on the generation they were written for. The heroes in these stories are kept alive because of this literary influence.

The pragmatic nature of books is truly embedded in modern life. Books not only tell stores; they pass them on. By reading these stories, we allocate memory for their horoes within ourselves, thus preserving them in time. Through literature, new and old heroes alike survive the corrosive nature of passing time.

masktaz 6 / 15 3  
Hey there,

I would like to give you some correction that you might considered.

here are some typos
Greek literature is a classical example of the ability for stories to last. The stories of Hercules, Perseus[, ] and Odysseus have lasted for thousands of years,

The pragmatic nature of books is truly embedded in modern life. Books not only tell stores stories; they pass them on. By reading these stories, we allocate memory for their horoes heroes within ourselves, thus preserving them in time.

You have interesting ideas, but you need to elaborate more on why does society remember these heroes? what makes society retold their stories through generation? what does society see in these heroes?

By reading these stories, we allocate memory for their [what is their refers to?] heroes within ourselves, thus preserving them in time.

good luck and hopefully, it is useful

Home / Writing Feedback / SAT Essay: Are all heroes eventually forgotten?