A Good Employee Definition Essay

marzyola1 2 / 6  
I am writing a definition essay and the following is the prompt: Define a "good employee." What are the qualities or skills that a good employee needs, and what are the things that a good employee will avoid doing in the work place?

Professors input was as follows:Your paragraphs often mention the consequences of not having a particular characteristic, for example "An employee that is not dependable can cause over-time issues as well as conflicts between co-workers," but don't explore the consequences of having such a trait. Make sure you explore both.

As has been stated, the last paragraph needs to be developed more. This is a good start, and a solid attempt at a full circle essay, but you need to develop it more, revisiting your points and thesis as well.

When the manager walked into the lobby he was shocked. Shocked at the lack of professionalism the receptionist was displaying. The receptionist was talking on the telephone and playing a video game, instead of greeting the residents in which employ her. The receptionist did not acknowledge the manager as he made his way to the office. He became very annoyed that the receptionist did not display the characteristics of a good employee. A good employee is dependable, knowledgeable, is a team player and has tact.

Dependability is a very valued trait for an employee to possess. Arriving to work on time shows co-workers and management that the position is valued, and desired. An employee that is not dependable can cause overtime issues as well as conflicts with co-workers. Overtime issues arise because; in today's economy employers do not want to pay the extra money. Conflicts between co-workers happen when someone is constantly late. Being dependable in an emergency situation is crucial. An employee who becomes hysterical will only add confusion to the situation. A good employee is dependable.

A knowledgeable employee is proficient in their position. They understand the requirements of their job and what is expected of them by their co-workers and employer. Hindrances come when an employee takes a position they are not qualified for, nor do they understand. A willingness to learn by mistakes made and the mistakes of others will only improve the overall performance of an employee. If an employee is unwilling to learn to improve themselves it will hold an employee back from the possibility of advancement. Jobs are constantly changing and evolving, therefore having an openness to grow and learn with the changes are characteristics of a good employee.

Another characteristic of a good employee is to be a team player. Many jobs or projects require employees to be part of a team or special group. Team work is vital to the success of every business. Employees that strive to help others meet goals and deadlines are team players. Those who are not team oriented cause morale issues and become burdens to their fellow co-workers. Morale issues develop because someone feels they are doing more work then someone else. Burdens happen due to the other employees not putting forth their best effort or by not handling their share of the work or project. An employee who contributes to the team and can lead it toward overall success is a good employee.

Lastly, tact is another characteristic a good employee will display. A good employee will not belittle themselves or their superiors in front of others. Although, they will address the problem or concern they will do so behind closed doors and with diplomacy. A good employee will not repeat tasteless jokes that are ethnic or religious orientated, as they will not want to offend others. A good employee will demonstrate a sensitivity and awareness to other people and cultures.

As the manager began to reflect on the actions of the receptionist, he realized, she did not possess any of the basic characteristics of a good employee. A good employee takes pride in themselves as well as his or her place of employment. At that moment the manager knew he would have to replace the receptionist. He began to write an ad for good employee that was dependable, knowledgeable, could be a team player and has tact.
birdman 3 / 28  
Good essay I should say. Also I would like to say that an employee should be a challenger. He should compete with other employees in order to find a good place in his office. In the second paragraph when you said about conflicts which are caused by being late. It is not the only reason I should say.I think that the main reason is that the boss does not share equally all his or her employee. One should never own his favorite.
OP marzyola1 2 / 6  
Thank You for your insight. I have really struggled with this essay.
angelinee827 2 / 4  
I think your essay is quite good, but I also agree with your professor that you could have more details/explantation in your last paragraph. Cheer up!
A willingness to learn by mistakes made and the mistakes of others will only improve the overall performance of an employee. If an employee is unwilling to learn to improve themselves it will hold an employee back from the possibility of advancement.

Well, I see that in this case you mentioned both, as the prof requested.

Arriving to work on time shows co-workers and management that the position is valued, and desired. An employee that is not dependable can cause overtime issues as well as conflicts with co-workers.

Again, you succeeded in doing both.

Those who are not team oriented cause morale issues and become burdens to their fellow co-workers. Morale issues develop because someone feels they are doing more work then someone else. Burdens happen due to the other employees not putting forth their best effort or by not handling their share of the work or project. An employee who contributes to the team and can lead it toward overall success is a good employee.

In this case, you succeeded again. However, only that brief last sentence shows what happens if the person is a team player (i.e. leads the team to success") but you could write a little more.

Overall, this is very good!!
sbhb0831 1 / 2  
Great Essay! It really gets the point across. But yes, more details in the last paragraph would be a good idea.

Home / Writing Feedback / A Good Employee Definition Essay