Is giving the same grade to every student in a group a good way to evaluate students?

hywb2 5 / 6 4  
Some high schools and universities require students to work on group projects. On completion, all the students in the group receive the same grade. Do you agree or disagree that this is a good way to evaluate students? Use specific reasons and examples to support your answer.

Nowadays, some high schools and universities call for students to participate in group projects, and offer the same group grade to every student in a group. I disagree with this kind of unwarranted schooling because the disadvantages brought about from it outweigh its advantages.

To begin with, giving the same grade to each student is oblivious to difference of students, and it interferes with the sound evaluation of individual student performance. In a group, the overall performance of a certain group is ascribed to aggregate skills and efforts of all students, so it is hard for teachers to distinguish individual student who has good skills from others. Consequently, the teacher is unable to select top students in a bad performed team, and vice versa. A more undesirable consequence is the ignorance of rare genius students. Since the teacher may focus more on the group performance, some talented students will be left out. The teacher would not pay much attention to them and give them special care. As a result, the special talent of students cannot be developed and nurtured as early as possible, and the possibility to fulfill their maximum potential is reduced. No doubt, it is a huge loss to our society. In addition, the parents may be anxious if they only can receive a group grade from school because they cannot know their children individual performance exactly.

Next, giving the same grade to every student poses a threat to students' motivation and enthusiasm. Motivation plays an essential role in the study of students. If a student is praised by his or her teacher, he or she will be greatly stimulated. As a result, he or she will perform better later because of the positive feedback they received from the teacher. However, if all the students be given the same grade, the superior students cannot perceive their strength, and their desire for recognition is stifled, thus they would not be spurred. Worse, some even lose enthusiasm for good performance. In addition, since all the students have the same score, the beneficial competitions are eliminated. Some students will hold that if it makes no difference even we did badly, why should we work hard? Nothing is worse than lose enthusiasm and motivation in study.

Admittedly, there are some justifications for advocating the same grade in a group. Some bottom students will not be prejudiced by teachers or other students. And they are unlikely to lose their confidence and be anxious if as less as people know their performance. But there are some remedies for problem like these. For example, the teacher can make every students know his or her individual grade but do not make it available to other students.

Collectively, the education model that giving all the students the same grade is unreasonable for it masks the differences of different students, and hinders an effective education. We should advocate education that recognizes the individuality of students and offers specific attention to potential of students.
April April 13 / 148 22  
distinguish individual student who has good skills from others --- distinguish individual student who has good skills from THOSE WHO DO NOT
No doubt --- this is informal. You should connect that sentence and the previous one using relative clause.
if all the students be given the same ---if all the students ARE given the same
Nothing is worse than lose enthusiasm and motivation in study. --- Nothing is worse than LOSING enthusiasm and motivation in study.

I think overall there aren't many mistakes in this essay, but some of the expressions that you used were not academic enough. Also, don't start a sentence with AND or BUT.

Best
OP hywb2 5 / 6 4  
April April, thank you very much for your advice.
w_even 6 / 14 1  
Your vocabulary range is good. You appropriately vary the words.
Your grip on grammar is also appreciable except a few minor mistakes.

in comparison to body and conclusion of your essay, your introduction is weak. you did paraphrase the topic even though it is not impressive.
if this is an IELTS or TOFEL essay, it is too long. near to double of the required word count. writing way over required limit is also penalized.
w_even 6 / 14 1  
One more thing:
your second last paragraph presents the opposite view. I am not sure about this but I think this para is not required as the question asked you to provide only your opinion.

can someone else confirms this ?

Following is an alternate to your introduction.
Various colleges and schools require students to create projects at the end of course. For the projects, worked upon by a group of students, It is a customary practice to grade the overall project rather than assessing the efforts of individual group members and assigning marks individually. I consider this a malpractice and firmly believe that awarding same grade to all group members is an unjust way to judge students skills.

Home / Writing Feedback / Is giving the same grade to every student in a group a good way to evaluate students?