Generation gap: your generation is different from your parents' generation?

suve 4 / 8  
Hello,
Kindly help me to improve my following essay;
Topic: Generation Gap
Question: Every generation of people is different in important ways. How
is your generation different from your parents' generation?

Generation Gap is the topic that discusses about the differences between two generations with respect to their priorities, values, attitudes, goals, tastes etc. Of course any two generations have these differences to a certain degree. However in my country, which is a developing country in the South East Asia, the gap between my generation and that of my parents is so vast compared to the gaps between earlier generations. This is due to the effects of technological advancement and the globalization. However these vast differences often put ourselves in difficult situations when we try to come into terms with our parents on many issues.

When the priorities are concerned my parents were more family oriented and had their highest priorities set for the family. Everything else was secondary to them. In many families the wives were not working and they themselves took care of the household. They rarely sought any outside assistance for managing home. They had low social profiles and depended on their husbands who were the main bread winners in the family for all financial needs. Husbands too held the view that it was their prime duty to feed the family and never expected the wives to support them in supplementing the family budget. This family set up helped the earlier generation to have strong ties not only within their own family but also with their extended families, friends and neighbors.

However the priorities today have taken a dramatic move from what they were earlier. Most of us have high priorities for our career advancement irrespective of gender difference. In many families both the husband and wife are employed and they equally struggle to have a balance between work and family life. The wives are not so dependent on their husbands for financial assistance and have relatively higher social profiles to their mothers. For example, the women today spend both money and time at the saloons on vanity in contrast to their mothers who never bothered about such things. However, this change of priorities has demanded the modern couples to seek outside assistance to manage their family life. Day care centers, Paid domestic assistance and Fast Food Restaurants are very good examples for such help. However we have to admit that the strength of the relationships within the family and also with extended families have relatively deteriorated today.

Our ideas, attitudes and perceptions too have changed dramatically. My parents were very conventional thinkers who were reluctant to challenge the existing social and cultural norms. However we are more rebellious in our attitudes and are not scared to do things out of the box. For example, in the earlier generation the divorces were discouraged by the society itself. If you were a divorcee you had to undergo so much social pressure. Today we are not concerned about how others view our actions. If we feel that the divorce is the best option to solve the issue we would not hesitate to go for it. And the today's society does not look down upon divorcees.

These differences are so common in the tastes too. My generation has overly embraced the western influence in all forms of art to which there is a strong opposition from the earlier generation. My parents are admires of local traditional art forms and fear about the future of their existence. These traditional art forms are no doubt are very rich in their value and are essential features in our culture. Therefore there is much validity in their fears and it is the responsibility of our generation to be thoughtful of certain adverse effects of globalization on our society and culture.
asokapalama 3 / 18  
We can conclude our essay writing some solution to this as follows.

Elders not appreciate some behaviors of young generation due to generation gap. That is a common in any society. As members of young generation we should understand this situation and act accordingly.
Mark, it is great to have you around!

I agree about the importance of this spot Mark indicated...
Let's look at this thesis statement:
However these vast differences often put us in difficult situations when we try to come to terms with our parents on many issues.
I don't think this sentence is about what it should be about.

In order to find out what the thesis sentence should be about, read each of your paragraphs again. For each paragraph, type a word that captures what the paragraph is about.

When you have a word for each paragraph, look at them and ask yourself what the whole essay is really about. What is your message to the reader?

Put that message in place of this confusing thesis:
However these vast differences often put ourselves in difficult situations when we try to come into terms with our parents on many issues.

What do you think, Suven! :-)
kal 2 / 7  
Dear Kevin.
Thanks for the advise, but I'm now a little bit confused.
I tried to highlight the differences between my generation and my parent's. I also wanted to stress that these differences are so vast between our two generations than ever before. And that was the reason why we often failed to understand each other. I thought this is what required by the topic. May be the way I have worded it is confusing the reader or????

Anyway I'm soconfused now. Could you kindly explain a bit more?
Thanks
Suven
And that was the reason why we often failed to understand each other. I thought this is what required by the topic. May be the way I have worded it is confusing the reader or????

Yes, I'm sorry for not explaining well.

The thesis statement is confusing! ---> However these vast differences often put us in difficult situations when we try to come to terms with our parents on many issues.

However these vast differences often cause us to have different priorities and concerns, so we find ourselves in disagreement about many issues.

This is clearer, and I used a word that I found in 2 of your TOPIC SENTENCES: "priorities."

I think that will make it much clearer! :-)

Home / Writing Feedback / Generation gap: your generation is different from your parents' generation?