IELTS GT Writing Task 2: To what extent should children have to follow rules?

peterc 14 / 52  
Hi all,

This is my first piece of essay...please help comment on it as I am quite short of ideas...thank you!!!

In some countries children have very strict rules of behaviour, while in other countries they are allowed to do almost anything they want.

To what extent should children have to follow rules?

In some countries children's behavior are restricted by many rules or traditions, while in other countries they are given a lot of freedom to do what they want. There has been much disputes over this question and my view is that there is no absolute right or wrong on both approaches.

Childrens living in those countries with strong traditional atmosphere always need to follow rules. For instance, in Chinese families, parents usually set a lot of rules to control their kid's behaviours. Children have to say morning to their parents every morning. Before starting the meals, they are required to say their parents' names or even all order relatives' names to show their respects to them. Certainly, whatever they want to do, they need to inform their parents and ask for their approval. Many support this argument because they believe it is a kind of protection for children. Without strict rules, childen may be not mature enough to make decision or evaluate what to do is correct. Some may even have no discipline or respect to others.

There are, however, some opposite argument against this approach for children. They argue that children should not be limited by rules. It will block their creativity and future development. Like in foreign countries, most of parents will not push their children to study something that they want. Children can study art or music even though these subjects may not benefit their careers. Without boundry, their mindsets are widened and they can have all-rounded development.

In summary, there are merits in both sides of argument. My view is that adults still need to some rules to guide children so that they know what is right or wrong. However, the rules can be changed sometimes, depending on different situations or needs.
In some countries children's behavior areis restricted by many rules or traditions

behaviors are / behavior is

There has been much disputes over this questionissue and my view is that there is no absolute right or wrong on both approaches.

Good introduction; it follows the right structure

Childrens

... I have seen many people make this mistake and may be this is a typo you made.... Then right word is "children" which itself is plural. The singular term is "child"

Childrens living in those the countries with strong traditional atmosphere always need to follow rules.

.... when you say "those", it tends to refer to something that you have introduced previously to this sentence. But in this case there is no such reference.

Children have to say"good morning" to their parents every morning.

... "morning" is the shorten form :D
Children should greet their parents every morning.

Before starting the meals, they are required to say their parents' names or even all order relatives' names to show their respects to them.

... Is this thanking your parents or ancestors for providing food for you? ... very interesting and I'm curious to know :)
There are, however, some opposite argument against this approach for children.

However, there are a some people who do not believe this is right.

It will block their creativity and future development.

... this is a very good point.

My view is that adults still need to some rules to guide children so that they know what is right or wrong.

I believe that children should follow a certain set of rules so that they do not misbehave in society.

I think you need to say more on what you believe. Try presenting some of the facts as your own ideas...

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS GT Writing Task 2: To what extent should children have to follow rules?