Evolution of Federalism

pacers7ind 11 / 25 2  
In essay format, discuss The current state of the Federalism and its evolution in America

The word federalism is not seen in the constitution; however, through the many years in history, federalism has gradually evolved to be practiced by the United States government.

Before the national government was the supreme power of the land, American federalism leaned towards dual federalism. The founding father had no interest in establishing a federalism government, however, the government has increasingly moved towards federalism. It became difficult t govern 18th century Americans because people were widely dispersed, and the country's communication and transportation services were difficult to govern from a central location. This inevitably led them to construct a federal system of government. The only problem was finding out who will prevail when disputes between the federal and state governments arise. The delegates provided an answer with the supreme clause. The supreme clause states that the constitution, laws of national government, and treaties are the supreme law of the land. Because of this, all judges are required to obey the U.S. constitution over anything else. In addition, the Supreme Court established supremacy of the national government over the state governments in the court case "McCulloch v. Maryland", thus moving the country towards federalism. The federal government gained more power through "Gibbons v. Ogden", where the Supreme Court gave Congress the power to regulate interstate commerce. This strengthened the national government by giving it authority over the state governments.

Through this movement towards federalism, the state governments have now been increasingly obligated to work with one another. The full faith and credit clause, extradition, and privileges and immunities all require the states to corporate with one another to fulfill the duties not don't by the federal government. Today we have cooperative federalism where powers and policy assignments are shared between states and the national government. Through this federalism system, it has become easier for political participation and the states have now become policy innovators.
The word federalism is not seen in the constitution; however, throughoutthe many years in history, federalism has gradually...

The founding fathers had no interest in establishing a federalist government, however, the government has increasingly moved towards federalism.

The only problem was finding out who would prevail when disputes between the federal and state governments arise.

... all require the states to corporate with one another to fulfill the duties not don't by the federal government.This sentence needs to be revised.

Home / Writing Feedback / Evolution of Federalism