Employers should observe employees - Analysis essay

mukmuk 6 / 1  
Rather than using the traditional question and answer interviews to evaluate job candidates,
employers should observe as they perform some of jobs actual tasks.

Discuss the extent to which you agree or disagree with the opinion expressed
above. Support your point of view with reasons and/or examples from your own
experience, observations, or reading.

The issue at hand of either using an interview as an evalutaion tool of candidate or reviewing the performance of of the employee on the actual tasks of job is a controversial one.On one hand, question and answer interviews are necessary because employees can be actually judged on the answers or solutions they provide to the questions thrown

at interview. On the other hand, interviews may not sometimes fully represent the cadidates actual personality and hidden talents in as short time period.However in the final analysis, I believe that interviews are an inseperable part for the selection of an appropriate candidate with pre-requisite knowledge of the job role and resposibility.

One reason for my belief that interviews are necessary is that the answers or solutions provided by the candidate to the questions posed represent the knowledge of the candidate in the field. It shows how well the candidate can handle situations and find out solutions to problems. It also represents how spontaneous is the candidate in ariving at a solution or giving an innovative idea.

Another reason for my belief is that interviews can be treated as a stage which represents the personality of the employee. The unique body-language, expressions,confidence-level, eye-contact are only possible in a face-to-face interview. These unique personality traits can go unidentified without a interview.

Perhaps the best reason is interviews,if correctly judged, can give an idea of how well the candidate would perform in the actual job environment. Without interview, giving a candidate a direct opportunity to work in an organisation may posess great risks of wastage of valuable resources of time and money if the employee fails to achieve the desired goals.

For all these reasons, I therefore believe that interviews play a crucial role in selection of candidate in that it can give a clear picture of how well the candidate is suited for a job that demands knowledge and experience. On the contrary, giving a candidate a direct opportunity to perform on actual tasks may pose a serious risk of wasting valuable resources like time and money if the candidate fails to achieve the desired objectives.
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

I think you make some excellent points in your essay! Your reasons why interviews are a good idea really cut to the heart of the matter. The only thing I might suggest changing is in the last couple of paragraphs with reference to letting the candidate work in the organization. I think you may have misunderstood that option. The idea is not to let the candidate really "work" there, but simply to observe him performing some of the skills necessary for the job. This might be a better option in a blue-collar/manufacturing type job, or perhaps computer technology, whereas in some types of white collar companies it might not tell the evaluator enough in a short amount of time.

Overall, I think it's a good essay and I'd give it a 4 out of 5.

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com

Home / Writing Feedback / Employers should observe employees - Analysis essay