Educational Success - view on single-sex education essay

sheikh_mohamed 1 / -  
Educational Success
Although many view single-sex education to be a form of segregation and against society's laws of equality, it is proven in many schools to show a dramatic change in test scores. Throughout time many countries have chosen to keep the practice of single sex education in order to stay away from harmful and socially disturbing situations such as rape, harassment and abuse of their female students in the public education sector. Co-gender education causes interaction between male and females at a young age which can cause distraction early on in the educations period. Boys are inherently more physical, distracting and testosterone filled beings who eventual disrupt girls who are completely opposite of those characteristics. Keeping schools in a single gender situation can also provide more stability with teacher, since the teaching styles can be adapted to the learning environment, whether the class room is all boys or girls. Although many of the single-gender school are private, researcher believe through proper funding from local and federal levels, single-gender schools can be thoroughly integrated. Single-sex education is highly criticized by the education sector for not proving equality, yet student in single gender schools are given equal opportunities to succeed as opposed to co-educational schools that lack funding due to the low test scores. With more money going into single-sex educational teaching, the public educational system can decrease the gap in students test score and at the same time reduce social stigmas such as abuse, rape and harassment in school.

Single-gender based education has made a large stride towards the educational success of their students with adaptive learning styles that cater towards each gender. Sarah Mathew, a former public school teacher express her feeling towards the lack of discipline found in co-gender public schools and the disruption caused mainly by male students, which interferes with educational endeavor of young girls ("Boys Will Be Boys..."). Teaching to a room filled with boys is completely different than teaching a room with both genders male and female. With a room filled with males students, a teacher can be more aggressive in their discipline behavior and also the lack of distractions (female students) cause many male student to become more attentive to studying. Jenifer Medan, author of the article, "Teaching Boys and Girls Separately in Public Schools" states, "The single-sex classes at Public School 140, which started as an experiment last year to address sagging test scores and behavioral problems, are among at least 445 such classrooms nationwide, according to the National Association of Single Sex Education most have sprouted since a 2004 federal regulatory change that gave public schools freedom to separate girls and boys." Given the adequate funding from the federal level many more schools can transition to single-gender schools and see the educational benefits of higher test score which provide more funding from the state level, which gives schools more money to further expands the schools educational assets.

Furthermore, Single-gender schools provide much more than educational benefits they also provide social stability and a decrease in violence in school towards female student in the cases of harassment, rape, bullying and even murder. John Mayfield, a public school counselor and former teacher at a single-gender school argues that many public school neglect student safety by placing both boys and girls in the same classes such as physical education which causes bullying and harassment to take place ("Teaching Boys and Girls Separately). On the other hand, single gender-school create physical education activities unique to each gender which promotes health and respects the physical attribute of both boys and girls. In the article, "Teaching Boys and Girls Separately", Sam Bailey a student at Morgan Middle School States, "I feel more confident around my girl-friends, and I like how boys are lifting weights while we play croquet. It's a really comforting environment." Many cases of abuse and rape occur in the public school and cause many schools to waste money in making programs to stop harassment and rape which deter away from much needed educational program and activities. This causes many schools to be under budgeted and fire teacher causing teacher holdouts and low test scores among students. In contrast, single-gender schools have extremely low rates of violence due to the educational environment and many parents feel much safer sending their children to more expensive school knowing their children would be safe. Single gender schools provide safety to students and give a piece of mind to parent who worry about their kids. With support from local groups single gender education can be experimented in schools throughout the United States.

In conclusion, although many critics blame single-gender schools to discriminate against students, many student feel safe and in a welcoming and learning environment. Large groups such as the ACLU promote co-gender education, yet are staunch critics of single-gender education due to the perceived notion of discrimination. Single-gender schools provide schools with higher test scores, safety of students and piece of mind for concerning parents. Through proper funding from the government, many supporters of single gender education believe that schools can implement a complimentary style of education to both genders without students losing confidence and putting their safety in danger. Single gender schools provide stability, social conservatism which many schools lack to today. Reduced violence, rapes, murder, and a better education growth are provided my single gender schools.

I used single-gender and single-sex education interchangeably. should i stick with one or mix it up like i did. also which one should i choose if i decide to stay with one. Also, after reading the essay what grade would you give it 1-10. Also give your harshest critiques, I want to make changes and get better thank you.
I used single-gender and single-sex education interchangeably. should i stick with one or mix it up like i did.

I guess I think you should stick with one for clarity. You can use both words, sex and gender, in the essay, but I think you should stick with only one of them that you hyphenate with "single"

Keeping schools in a single gender situation can also provide more stability with for the teacher, since the teaching styles ...

Although many of the single-gender school are private, researchers believe through proper funding from local and federal levels, single-gender schools can be thoroughly integrated.

... sector for not providing equality, yet students in single gender schools are given equal ...

Teaching to a room filled with boys is completely different than teaching a room with both genders. male and female.

We are in an era in which gender equality is something we are working to achieve. If boys and girls are educated differently, that does not help to achieve equality. For example, look at what you wrote here:

With a room filled with males students, a teacher can be more aggressive in their discipline behavior and also the lack of distractions (female students) cause many male student to become more attentive to studying.

If there is more discipline for boys, employers will expect boys to be more disciplined and resilient than girls.

Remember, education has more than one purpose. Are you thinking of it as merely a way of producing high test scores? It is also a process where students learn to think critically, socialize, appreciate the arts, develop their personalities. Of all the lessons I learned in school my favorites were the ones I learned from girls!

:-)

Reduced violence, rapes, murder, and a better education growth are provided my by single gender schools.

Home / Writing Feedback / Educational Success - view on single-sex education essay