domestic terrorism essay

samuraitom 23 / 18  
Prompt: What is the most dangerous domestic terrorist threat to the security of the United States?

Last essay of the year! Yay! I'm going to fix the conclusion since it is weak.

Critique thanks!

Domestic Terrorism

"Democracies don't go to war against each other, and by and large they don't sponsor terrorism. They're more likely to respect the environment and human rights and social justice. It's no accident that most of the terrorists come from non-democratic countries," articulated by former president Bill Clinton during his speech at Gordon Track in November of 2001. As one of the world's superpower, the United States hold many responsibilities both on foreign and domestic affairs. With these responsibilities, there are many opponents to the country's policies. Domestic right-wing terrorist groups and individuals are the most dangerous threat to the peace and security of the United States.

Right-wing extremist groups tend to adhere to an anti-government or racist ideology ("Current Threat"). "As American society continues to change, the potential for hate crimes by extremist right wing groups is an increasing concern" ("Current Threat"). Right-wing terrorism ideals have been witness in many forms throughout the history of the United States. Domestically, The United States has its fair share of extreme terrorist groups such as the National Alliance, the World Church of the Creator (WCOTC) and the Aryan Nations (Watson). This type of terrorism occurs in the form of violence against racial, sexual, religious, and political minorities. These terrorist groups cannot accept the rising diversity and ideals as the United States continue to grow. Extreme right-wing ideologies has rapidly gained popularity among many European extremist groups such as the neo-Nazis (Bjorgo).

"Terrorists may also have learned from past violence in the United States, particularly the examples set by the World Trade Center and Oklahoma City bombings. Studying the attacks--including the resulting damage, media coverage, and investigative techniques used to apprehend suspects--could prompt future terrorists to plan their attacks with greater care" ("Current Trends"). Looking at modern trends, extremists have demonstrated an interest in the use of biological weapons. In 1991, Minnesota's domestic extremist group called the Patriot Council produced ricin and discussed usage of it against government officers; the ricin could have killed over one hundred people if it were released ("Current Trends"). Animal rights extremist also have committed acts of terrorisms within the United States. An example of this is Rodney Coronado, a member of the Animal Liberation Front, pled guilty to arson from a fire at Michigan State University ("Terrorism").

Islamic extremists attempted to destroy Tower One of the World Trade Center, parking a car with explosives inside. The extremists failed to bring down the tower and only six Americans were killed ("February 1993 Bombing"). One of the most deadly and extreme case of right-wing terrorism was the 1995 Oklahoma City Bombing. The Oklahoma terrorists seemed to have taken tips from the Islamic extremists in this very similar situation. The attack was aimed at the Alfred P. Murrah federal building in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. Around 9:03 a.m., a bomb in a rental truck in the parking garage exploded, bringing half of the entire building down. 168 lives were taken that day with hundreds injured from the attack ("The Bombing").

Domestic terrorism has undoubtedly grew in the United States. These act of terrorism seems to grow in intensity and scale. Right-wing terrorists is the most dangerous threat to the United States.
EF_Team2 1 / 1,708  
Greetings!

I'm happy to help with some editing!

As one of the world's superpowers, the United States holds many responsibilities both on foreign and domestic affairs.

Right-wing terrorism ideals have been witnessed in many forms throughout the history of the United States.

as the United States continues to grow. - Even though there are 50 states, the country itself is singular, so use "continues."

Extreme right-wing ideologies have rapidly gained popularity among many European extremist groups such as the neo-Nazis

Animal rights extremists also have committed acts of terrorism within the United States. An example of this is Rodney Coronado, a member of the Animal Liberation Front, who pled guilty to arson from a fire at Michigan State University

Domestic terrorism has undoubtedly grown in the United States. These acts of terrorism seems to grow in intensity and scale. Right-wing terrorists are the most dangerous threat to the United States.

Your thesis is "Domestic right-wing terrorist groups and individuals are the most dangerous threat to the peace and security of the United States." Yet, you seem to be including the first World Trade Center bombing in that category. You might want to make this a little clearer.

Good job!

Thanks,

Sarah, EssayForum.com
OP samuraitom 23 / 18  
Whoops, I'm going to remove the the WTC texts and replace it with something else.

Thanks!

Home / Writing Feedback / domestic terrorism essay