Home / Writing Feedback   % width NEW!

discuss upsetting or controversial problems by text-messaging OR voice-messaging?

zmengran 1 / -  
I need to revise this article. Could you please help me find out the flaws or give me some advice?

Many people opt to discuss upsetting or controversial problems with others using text-messaging, especially when the issue is urgent and need quickly response or decision. From my perspective, despite telephone can reach someone immediately, text-messaging is actually a better way to negotiate controversial problems and inform someone bad news due to its more prominent advantages. My arguments for this point of view are listed as follows.

To begin with, text-messaging is able to contain much more details with coherent arrangement than voice-messaging, which is crucial to a debate over a controversial issue. It is because a rational and lucid article is more convincing to people than an illogical and rambling conversation. In addition, if we have to deliver bad news to someone, we can try to coherently emphasize the bright side of the upsetting fact and make it more convincing by using text-messaging. In this way, people will get maximum comfort when they are convinced of the bright side of the bad news. For example, one year ago I sent an email to tell one of my close friends Lily that I knew her boyfriend was cheating on her. More importantly, I coherently explained that breaking up with him actually offers her more freedom and chance to meet a new person for a fresh and exciting relationship, and that she always deserve a better one. At the end of the email, I wrote that her suffering would naturally come to end one day because time always heals. I told her I will always by her side whenever she needs me. Delightfully, after receiving this email, Lily did look on the bright side of that incident and recovered soon. We became closer friends ever since. In this case, text-messaging is proved to be a more effective and thoughtful way to deliver bad news to someone.

Secondly, text-messaging can eliminate the influence of negative emotion that arose during conversations. If we tell a friend a piece of bad news, it is inevitable that we will speak in a sad tone and began a gloomy conversation. And since a bad mood is contagious, both the speaker and the listener will eventually be buried in sadness. Besides, there is a great possibility that the discussion over a controversial issue will become a fierce quarrel, since people often hold different opinions on controversial issues. However, people usually placidly express their standpoint and rationally deal with the opposite opinions when they are using text-messaging. For instance, a few months ago, my uncle's neighbor wanted to occupy their shared platform. When he made a phone call to my uncle to ask for his permission, my uncle refused him immediately because he thought his neighbor was incredibly greedy. Afterwards, the neighbor sent my uncle an email to explain the whole "platform" thing and my uncle got to know his neighbor is in badly need of that place. At last he willingly consented to his neighbor's request.

In conclusion, text-messaging can contain more details and can be more coherently arranged. It is more thoughtful and effective when people have to deliver some a piece of bad news. People can avoid being influenced by negative emotions while using text-messaging to deal with a controversial problem. Therefore, I strongly prefer to using text-messaging instead of voice-messaging to discuss upsetting or controversial problems with others.

Home / Writing Feedback / discuss upsetting or controversial problems by text-messaging OR voice-messaging?