Should children taught to be co-operative rather than compete?

shandy133 1 / -  
Greetings.
I am going through the IELTS this week. So in urgent need of help. Thx!!!

some people think that a sense of competition in children should be encouraged. Others believe that children who are taught to be co-operative rather than compete become more useful adults.

Discuss both these views and give your own opinion.

With competitions in the modern society getting more intensive, the public have grown increasing concern on whether children should be cultivated into corporative adults or the ones aware of competitive challenges. As far as I am concerned, learning to work with other people is more important.

Being able to work in teams has been a significant quality since ancient times. Men in those days were fully aware of the benefits they could gain from group actions and corporations. This could be well interpreted by the fact that human ancestors used to live and hunt in tribes. Such a custom has been taken up by the modern dwellers, most of who set up companies instead of working by individuals. Given that the talent and capability of individuals vary from person to person, working in groups beats those on their own as a result of combined wisdom. And also, mistakes could be reduced since more people are now trying to fix the same problem.

At the same time, some people contend that a sense of competition should be accentuated, arguing that without this, children are less likely to make progress due to a lack of pressure. Competition can indeed encourage the merits of being ambitious and progressive, however, excessive competition may provoke aggression, shaping the young generation into victims of fame and vanity. Nevertheless, such problems are less prone to occur if they are working in groups. Sharing the pains as well as gains with their teammates reminds them to be more considerate and pragmatic while promoting themselves.

To sum up, those who get used to work with others tended to be of higher efficiency. Thus the education of the young generation should accentuate the ability of interpersonal coordination. Proper parental guidance may help.
stellastella 18 / 25  
Hi
I am preparing for TOEFL, and my master learnt me it is nicer to show beginning of the paragraphs with phrases such as To beginwith , what is more , Finally and as you have written To sum up .

Home / Writing Feedback / Should children taught to be co-operative rather than compete?