Cell Phones Impact on Society - they have made communication easier

rwony 1 / 1  
i am an ESL student, and i will appreciate all the help i can get on this paper..thank you!

In today's society, mobile phones are considered as a key element in our daily life. They have transformed the way we communicate. For some people, cell phones are a wonderful convenience of modern life; for others, they are irritating devices that should be banned from public areas. Although there are many advantages of mobiles, these communication devices also have several negative impacts on society

The main benefit of cell phones is that they have made communication easier. By using text messages, video calls, or simply phone calls, people are able to keep in touch with anybody. My phone, for example, has a feature where I can either call or send a free text message to my family in the Dominican Republic. I love it because I no longer have to buy phone cards to get in touch with my family. Also, many cell phones have a tracking system, which can be helpful for parents of teens who want to track their kids' movements. One of my co-workers uses this tracking system to make sure her daughter goes to school every day. In addition, having a cell phone can be convenient when an emergency arises; for example, when my car broke down in the middle of nowhere, I was able to call for help immediately. Another advantage is having access to the web, especially if a person is going to be out of town. I went to Hilton Head, South Carolina this summer, and I was able to use my phone to find information such as the cheapest hotels, nearest restaurants and shopping centers. Furthermore, users can benefit from some useful functions, such as calendar, alarm clock, calculator, and compass.

On the other hand, these beneficial devices also have a dark side. Mobile phone etiquette has become an important issue with mobiles ringing at funerals, weddings, during movies, and in classrooms. Users often speak loudly with little regard for other people nearby. One day at the movies I heard a phone ring, and it was not the regular instrumental ringtone, instead, it was a disturbing song about "ass" and "boobies." These types of ringtones are not only distractions, they are also inappropriate for kids to hear. Also, owning a mobile phone often means people expect to reach others anytime, anywhere. For instance, people from work may try to reach someone on a family vacation, or friends may call or text constantly. In addition, excessive use of cell phones can lead to addiction, especially in young people. They spend too much time texting, having conversations with friends, or playing games, therefore distracting them from doing their homework or other responsibilities. Furthermore, many accidents have been caused by people texting or talking on mobile phones while driving. My friend got in a car accident because she was texting while driving. The car in front of her made a sudden stop, and she crashed into its rear bumper. Even though there is a law about not texting while driving, some people do not respect this law. In addition, most cell phone companies charge for extra minutes, unlimited text messages, internet, and email access, which can be extremely expensive.

Like many technologies, cell phones are mixed blessings for many of us. They keep us from being stranded for hours on the side of the road. However, they can be a distraction while driving, which may lead to accidents. Users should manage the time of using mobiles reasonably.

My conclusion sucks, but i cant think of anything...if anybody wanna help me on that too...thanks
Amanda,

I like the topic a lot, seems people don't want to see the negative side of it nowadays. If you wanted to expand on it a bit you could go into the sub cultures that seem to be forming around these brands and devices. Plenty of recent examples around to use as well, both positive and negative.

As for your closing, it's not bad. Maybe you could expand it into your thoughts on the matter? Or you could go into what you think the future may bring as weather you see it as a positive or negative thing? Seems to be it needs to be a bit more specific to the point you're trying to get across. Try to really nail down what you want the reader to take away from this and try to close on that point and bring the conversation to a close.

Hope that helps, good luck!!
OP rwony 1 / 1  
thank you so much!! yes you did help me alot; i added few things thanks to ur feedback...is that clear? did i make my point?

Like many technologies, cell phones are mixed blessings for many of us. They keep us from being stranded for hours on the side of the road. However, they can be a distraction while driving, which may lead to accidents. Users should manage the time of using mobiles reasonably, and they should take in consideration their surroundings. I have noticed how cell phones are making peoples' good manners decrease, and it should not be that way. Although these devices have many disadvantages, they are a necessity for many of us, therefore we will still keep using them.

Home / Writing Feedback / Cell Phones Impact on Society - they have made communication easier