Toefl : Books have more influence on society than the television

Namnam 3 / 8  
There are both similar and distinguishing roles and characteristics between books and televisions. Therefore, it is quite controversial that among two options, which one is more influential on our society. As far as I am concerned, I firmly believe that since television invented, television has more strongly influenced on people`s lives than the book has. There are main two reasons why I think so: Television gathers people`s attention more effectively, and television programs are more audience-friendly media than books.

Nowadays, televisions are installed everywhere such as individual houses, shops, and even public places, which means that we can watch the TV without any difficulties. However, if we try to use or purchase a book, we may easily feel that purchasing process is somewhat complicated. To read a book, we should deal a series of purchasing process including going a book store, looking for a list of books, paying for the books, and lastly bringing them home. It requires not only money but also time and labor to read a book. Thus, people`s tendency to get apathetic to the book is somewhat natural phenomenon, and the reducing influence of books is inevitable trend among society.

Secondly, each book holds limited themes and genres which reflect authors` particular characteristics. In other words, books are biased media toward authors not audiences. In the current society, people can spend a less amount of rest time. They want to feel relax and enjoy their rest time abundantly. In this sense, many TV program producers attempt to merge several genres or contents in each program to satisfy their audiences. While TV companies make programs with meeting the audiences` tastes, authors have a tendency to put their particular writing style in their publications as a tool for securing their fans and manias. Because it is not easy for readers to accept each author`s writing style, they tend to stick to a certain type of an author or a genre, and this segregated trend in book culture may be too limited to say that the book has bigger power on society than TV.

In conclusion, because TV is more accessible and provides various contents at once, people usually choose watching TV than reading a book, which in turn fortifies TV`s influence on the society.

Please check my essay and let me realize what the problems are.. Thank you x)
KathyLala 20 / 116  
=>... purchasing process including going to a book store... (miss to)

=>...to book is somewhat... (you say book in general, so no the)

Your conclusion is quite short. Remember there are 2 things you need to do in your conclusion; 1)closing statement &2)restate thesis. I feel that your conclusion is met only item 2). Anyway, your writing is well-written
OP Namnam 3 / 8  
Thank you all~ I`ll keep to do my best~!!X)

Home / Writing Feedback / Toefl : Books have more influence on society than the television