IELTS : Boarding schools are getting more popular in some countries. Good or bad?

iatropathos 1 / 1 1  
Hello, I'm Tor from Thailand. I am a new member here and this is my first essay in IELTS exam preparation.

Q : In some countries boarding schools are getting more popular. Is it a positive or negative development? What are the reasons behind it?

Essay : In the past when communication was not as convenient as present, boarding schools was probably one and only option for certain families, especially those who lived in the rural areas, to endow their children with education. But when transportation has become better, trend has been changed toward day school. Yet in some countries, thing does not follow the same direction as boarding schools once again turn back to popularity. In my opinion, this would rather be the drawback than the advantage.

Firstly, children in boarding schools are meant to live apart from their parents, who are the best persons that can provide them physical and mental supports. Although teachers can also do this part, they would not put enough effort to do so, particularly when dealing with children who are difficult to deal with.

Secondly, no matter how long children spend their times in boarding schools, they will return to live with their families when they graduate. By that time, some of them will face difficulties in adaptation in living with their parents while the others may find it troublesome to form an appropriate relationship. For some instances, just expressing the passion may be incredibly hard.

On the other hand, the only benefit from growing up in boarding schools is that children will be strong to struggle through unpleasant time and cope with any disappointments in future life. They will learn to rely utmost on themselves.

In summarize, popularization of boarding schools in some countries would adversely affect the children rather than establish positive attributes.

(281/250 words)
Thank you for any comments

.... You are very welcome :)

In the past when communication was not as convenient as present, boarding schools was probably one and only option for certain families, especially those who lived in the rural areas, to endow their children with education. But when transportation has become better, trend has been changed toward day school. Yet in some countries, thing does not follow the same direction as boarding schools once again turn back to popularity.

Well.... it seems you are taking the essay a little bit away from your topic.... For this task, for you need to introduce your topic to the reader. What is your topic?

In some countries boarding schools are getting more popular. Is it a positive or negative development? What are the reasons behind it?

... This does not talk about the past and also it is even more popular now due to the very reason you point out. Actually, improved transportation has enabled students to go out of their state or country and study and due to the distance, they need a boarding.

So, you should introduce it without diverting its direction;
With heavy influence of globalization, students today have more options for choosing a college for their studies. In many cases, students opt to study in colleges outside their home state or country. For this reason, most of the schools nowadays provide boarding facilities for the students who come from far away places. However, some people believe this as a negative trend while others view it as positive. In my opinion, I think this trend has more disadvantages than advantages.
OP iatropathos 1 / 1 1  
Oops! ... I admit that this topic took me a big while to formulate the idea.

Thank you, Dumi ... Your comment is really helpful.

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS : Boarding schools are getting more popular in some countries. Good or bad?