Essay about bad effects of the internet on students

je2ks2 19 / 10  
Here is another essay. I am so grateful for your help. It really helps me see what my problems in my writing are. Anyhow, I've got a question. Is there any difference in meaning between 'the internet' and 'internet'? If so, would you tell me what it is? Thank you again in advance.

topic: some people say that the internet has a positive impact on students; others believe that widespread use of the internet is detrimental to them. Which of view do you agree with?

Some people believe that the Internet has a positive impact on students by providing a variety of resources for their studies. However, I strongly disagree with that claim since internet brings some negative effects on students such as internet addicts and the reliance too much on internet with homework.

First, many students are becoming addicted to the Internet. They spend more and more time on playing computer games or just surfing the net without any particular reasons. Accordingly, the time they spend on studying is automatically reduce, which in turns causes the lower academic achievement. Moreover, some of them go to the extreme, becoming serious internet addicts, and they even refuse to go to school as they cannot escape from the trap of internet.

Second, internet hinders students from doing their homework or assigned task by their own. Thanks to internet, students can obtain the information they need with a great ease by simply clicking the button. However, this great accessibility to any kind of information can be abused. For instance, when students are given an assignment, what many of them do is just go on the websites or the blogs where the seemingly needed information is posted, and drag, copy and paste it without looking the material thoroughly later. Some students even just download the material which someone else has already done and submit it as if it were their work.

It is clear that internet has serious detrimental effects on students. For one thing, students are so vulnerable to becoming addicted to internet. Additionally, they do their homework not with their own efforts but with the entire dependence on internet resources. Thus, young students should use internet with great cautions to prevent any harmful effects.
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Good afternoon :)

In regards to meaning, there is no difference between "internet" and "the internet." "The" is an article adjective used in English to indicate a subject, thus it is placed in front of nouns (i.e. "internet").

"Some people believe that the InternetThis is not a proper noun and shouldn't be capitalized. has a positive impact on students by providing a variety of resources for their studies. However, I strongly disagree with that claim since the internet brings some negative effects on students such as internet addicts and the increased reliance on the internet in regards to homework.

First, many students are becoming addicted to the Internet. They spend more and more time playing computer games or just surfing the net without any particular reason . Accordingly, the time they spend on studying is automatically reduces , which in turn causes lower academic achievement. Moreover, some of them go to the extreme, becoming serious internet addicts, and they even refuse to go to school as they cannot escape from the trap of the internet.

Second, the internet hinders students from doing their homework or assigned tasks on their own. Thanks to the internet, students can obtain the information they need with a great ease by simply clicking the button. However, this great accessibility to any kind of information can be abused. For instance, when students are given an assignment, what many of them do is just go on websites or blogs where the seemingly needed information is posted, and drag, copy, and paste it without looking the material thoroughly later. This is called "plagiarism," and is illegal. Some students even just download the material which someone else has already done and submit it as if it were their own work.

It is clear that the internet has serious detrimental effects on students. For one thing, students are so vulnerable to becoming addicted to the internet. Additionally, they do their homework not with their own efforts but with the entire dependence on internet resources. Thus, young students should use internet with great caution to prevent any harmful effects."

Very nice job. You make some very good points, and your introduction and conclusion are very clear and concise. Good work.

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com

Home / Writing Feedback / Essay about bad effects of the internet on students