IELTS: Arranged Marriage vs Love Marraige / Discuss both systems

Lady Elle 5 / 8  
Topic: In some countries, marriages are arranged by the parents but in the other cases, people choose their own marriage partner. Discuss both systems.

Marriage is defined as a union between two or more people that established certain rights and obligations and is enormously affected by one's values, culture and tradition depending on which country you came from. This essay will tackle the issue on marriages planned by the parents or a third party commonly known as 'arranged marriages' and selecting your own spouse or what we call 'love marriages.'

Arranged marriages are common in royal and aristocratic families and roughly practiced in countries like India, Pakistan and China. In India for instance, decisions pertaining to marriage are taken by elders of the respective family with the intention of keeping the caste lines intact. Also in Pakistan, two families agree to marry their children while they are still infant, or even before they are born but the actual marriage takes place when the bride and groom are already in their late teens. In order for a family to arrange the marriage of their son, they must also have a daughter to be married in return. But in the case of China, the primacy of family negotiation and observance of traditional rules are more characteristic of arranged marriage. The groom's parents usually investigate the reputation and lineage of the bride's family. The bride's family takes the opportunity tO ask about the status and wealth of the groom's family to ensure that their daughter will be treated well.

However, if you belong to some Western countries and family with Western values, you might have a different perspective from that of arranged marriages. Chances are, first, you would think that love is the most important factor to consider when choosing a perspective spouse. Second, you would have individual autonomy. In other words, you have the option of choosing the person you want to be with for the rest of your life. Third, you would have an informed decision. Since you know your partner well on a personal level, you know what to expect then. And lastly, love. It unites two hearts and share every emotions and understand each other, as love conquers all.

In conclusion, marriages from around the world greatly varies and is mostly influenced by culture and traditions. Although arranged marriages may sound negative, for some it means living and preserving their heritage and passing on the tradition to the next future generation. So whether you go for arranged marriage or love marriage, both system requires trust and commitment which are essential for a relationship to work out.

Please feel free to make any corrections and advices as to how I could improve my writing. You may also send a revision of this topic to missy081787 at gmail.c0m. Thank you!
davesh82 - / 7 2  
Hi Lady Elle,

I think the below essay need minor correction which I have highlighted below. In my opinion instead of using connective like first , second and third, you can use connective likes Moreover, Furthermore, In addition to.. which will give more value to your essay. Other thing which i think that is missing is the essay structure. Frankly speaking while reading the above essay i thought someone has written some story. If you follow structure your essay will attract more attention. You can follow ''TEEE''.

One for Arranged marriage
Topic sentence
Example used connective word like For example, For instance, This can be illustrated by the below example...
Explanation
Extension

One for Love marriage
Topic sentence
Explanation
Extension

If you are in favor in one of them , then add one more TEEE for that side. Suppose if you think
Love marriage is better than arranged marriage then add one more paragraph ...

One more for Love marriage
Topic sentence
Explanation
Extension

In conclusion is common word show different variety of word which will show you know different word and have command over English language.

To recapitulate or In nut shell or To summarize..

Provide your opinion clearly in conclusion especially in discussion type of essay...

Thanks
Davesh

Home / Writing Feedback / IELTS: Arranged Marriage vs Love Marraige / Discuss both systems