Waste Management Archaeology; Common Application Essay First Draft: Background Story Central to Life

as1234 1 / -  
Waste Management Archaeology
In my youth, I was the world's youngest archaeologist. Upon returning home from school I would saunter off to resume my field work from the previous day, unearthing mystical treasures and artifacts. I would scamper about, exploring every crack and crevice in the terrain and every dumpster in my neighborhood in my quest to discover some treasure that would revolutionize the world.

Each time, my excavations unearthed new artifacts, and I proudly displayed my findings on my walls, much to my parents' disgust. (I now understand why they refused my offers to join my expeditions)My most prized possession was a seemingly new hardcover, gold embroidered Egyptian book about the history of the great Pharaohs. I was amazed by the intricate designs and detailed passages about the scandals of Cleopatra and the tomb of Tutankhamen. I proudly displayed my book on my shelf. Quite soon, my dumpster excavations became the neighborhood fad. Other neighborhood kids began accompanying me on my journey into the unknown depths of the garbage. We unearthed vintage photos, forgotten toys, and mysterious tools. I was proud to have garnered a small following of neighborhood children who would join me on my adventures. I felt like a leader, like Christopher Columbus on a voyage into new, uncharted lands.

Although my dumpster diving adventures may seem odd now, to a curious six year old exploring the unknown depths of unclaimed items opened a world of possibilities. I was fascinated. Each item possessed a unique history and purpose that was waiting to be discovered. As a dumpster digging archaeologist, I felt like a leader, an innovator, an explorer. Leading my troops of people through my ambitious ventures to create new uses for objects others rendered useless sparked within me a keen desire to explore and innovate that burns within me to this very day.

Dumpster diving was more than just a strange hobby. It was a pathway to new possibilities. It was my way of discovering the world. My favorite part was when I would find something others rendered useless but I had the ability to breathe a new life into it, a new purpose.

Today, I am 17 years-old and have well outgrown my peculiar hobby, yet my old ways fostered within me a thirst for adventure, exploration, and collaboration. The possibilities for what I want to be are truly endless.

Today, I am a soldier, battling rival schools on the volleyball court and track, valiantly defending my school's honor. I am a mentor, guiding our youth through their academic and social conquests. I am a pirate, unearthing the secrets of the human body and decoding the genetic map during biology labs. Whether I am hiking with my family, doing DIY crafts, or scanning EKGs, my work still requires the same persistent work ethic and sense of curiosity that vivaciously thrived within me as I dug through waste management bins. At 17 years-old, I have begun to take on many different roles to shape my future, but I will always be that curious, 6 year-old dumpster diving archaeologist at heart.
peperoniz 2 / 3  
I really like this essay! Just as suggestion, but maybe you could cut down on some of the early parts of the essay and add more to the last paragraph? I find myself wanting to know more about how you are a mentor, pirate, soldier. But other than that great topic and writing!
salmaelazhary 2 / 5  
I really liked this. while reading it i could actually imagine you digging out things from the dumpster as a child. However, I think you should be a little but more clear on how it shaped you and as the person above said " add more to the last paragraph". Other than that it was interesting and personal. :)

Home / Undergraduate / Waste Management Archaeology; Common Application Essay First Draft: Background Story Central to Life