'being Vietnamese' - University of Wisconsin: How will you enrich our community?

bestcrayons911 2 / 7  
In order to give us a more complete picture of you as an individual, please tell us about the particular life experiences, perspectives, talents, commitments and/or interests you will bring to our campus. In other words, how will your presence enrich our community?

I feel a little awkward about this question because I'm writing an essay about diversity. Please tell me if I answer the prompt and be brutally honest on what I need to change. Examples along with the suggestions would be appreciated.

Growing up Vietnamese has sometimes meant that I look at the world differently than some of my non-Asian friends do. Originally, it was always accepting what my parents said without question. Then came a period in which I questioned everything we did that wasn't "American." But eventually, I came to appreciate that there are some things we do for a reason.

All my life, grades have always been of the utmost importance. I've always been told that the better grades I have, the better school I'll be able to get into, setting the course for the rest of my life. I've been expected to get good grades and berated for bad ones. My parents hold me to such a high standard that it's been engrained in me. Although I used to get good grades for them, now I need good grades for myself as well.

I think it's the same thing with learning how to play the piano. My parents needed something that they could be proud of. That's where learning how to play the piano came in. They reasoned that one of the surefire ways to make sure I grew into an accomplished individual was if I mastered an instrument. Even though at first I liked playing the piano, after a time I couldn't understand why I should continue playing if I hated practicing.

There used to be a lot of things I didn't like about being Vietnamese. One of them was my parents' absolute no in getting any pets (aside from goldfish, which don't do anything but eat and poop.) Sure, pets were a lot of money and work, but we promised we would take good care of them. Another was how overprotective my parents were, in general. In my seventeen years, I've never been to a sleepover. I've never watched an unedited R-rated movie. Whenever I got sick, my parents would insist on applying Eagle Oil, an oily substance that was unpleasantly sharp and spicy and that would seep into our clothes. I was always self-conscious of smelling funny at school.

My parents also raised my sisters and me to believe that we were poor. This meant eating out only once every six months or so and even then only at Asian buffets. We were also avid bargain hunters. Every time we went into a store, we'd always hit the clearance racks first. When I was younger, I never understood why we were being so cheap when we could afford better.

In the end though, I realized that most of the things my parents taught me were true. Being cheap means having more money for more important things, like a college education. Being a sheltered child means that I'm more cautious than other American kids. I'm also much less likely to do something spontaneous that I will regret later. Having pride in my accomplishments means that I will push myself to work harder and achieve more. All these things made me the way I am today. It's a way of problem solving and at the same time, a way of preserving a piece of my native culture. I still want a dog though.
INB 1 / 4  
Hi Natalia,

You make a good start, but somehow in the course, loose track of what you are saying. The college application is looking for instances and experiences from your past that they can relate to you if you are accepted at the coolege. It is the way you share your anecdotes that will speak of who you are as a person and what values you embody. You should talk more about how being a Vietnamese you faced challenges while growing up...how different you felt yourself to be from the rest of the children and still made an effort to blend in completely...how you never let your grades slip beacuse of this and how committed you were...talk about your interactions with the American friends and how you have come in being accepted in your friend circle ...even a long way in appreciating your background and looking at things from a different angle. This would highlight how you accept diversity and how you can contribute to the community learning from past instances.

All the best for your application! May you do well :)
OP bestcrayons911 2 / 7  
Wow, thanks Ina. That's very helpful. I'll do my best!

Home / Undergraduate / 'being Vietnamese' - University of Wisconsin: How will you enrich our community?