Vice President of the student government program

bigdaddy 1 / 1  
Currently I am Vice President of the student government program at my school. I have been an active member since my freshman year. My junior year I was elected Treasurer. Throughout high school I have participated in many clubs and teams. I played basketball freshman year and since then I have become a member of my schools lacrosse team. I am also a member of the key club and the junior civitan club. I have enjoyed myself throughout high school but I don't think that I have made the most out of what my school had to offer.

As a senior at my high school I am reflecting on my high school experiences and what I have accomplished after all four years of high school. Growing up as a child before high school I was excellent student. I received mostly all A's in my classes with little effort or care. As I made the transition from middle to high school I did not think anything of it. I thought it would be the same as before, that I would be able to breeze by with a nonchalant attitude and little work. I was wrong. As the years went by my friends and classmates were given honors for the achievements in class and I received none, yet this did not bother me. To me, all of it did not seem important because I knew I was smart. As they thrived to improve their grades for colleges I keep my attitude and effort constant. College felt so distant in the future that I did not need to worry about it.

At the end of my junior year, I for the first time took a look at my GPA. At a very low 2.69 I was devastated. I had never realized that my grades had been so poor. I had never realized that I had wasted all four years of high school. I had never realized the possibility that I might not go to a good college, that despite my parents wishes I would fail them and not be the first in my family to attend a university. When the idea of not being able to go to the college of my choice hit me I was, in a way, awakened to the fact that I must really bust my behind in school.

As of now, I am giving my senior year in high school my all. Even though some of my friends are lightening their loads, I have increased my load in an attempt to improve my GPA and to prove to myself and others that I can do the work and that I will be successful in school and in life after college.
Mustafa1991 8 / 373 4  
If you're mediocre, you will convince others of your success. Once you reach a certain level, no one is around worth convincing; then you are about on your own for comparison making purposes; consequently unable to prove much to yourself.
yang 2 / 313  
So what's the topic?

And I agree with Mustafa (If I actually understood his statements right...) It's all perspective and depending on where you apply. For most, this might sound impressive (but you really make it hard when you say that you pretty much failed in academics), but for the tier one schools, it's not going to work at all. The only thing you offer that is different is the first generation thing, but even that...

I suggest that unless the prompt states that you need to talk about your clubs in a way that underlines your improvement, don't emphasize on your negative side. Instead, talk about your passion for the things you do! It'll sound much more positive and most importantly, try to underline your strength. Contrary to what you might believe, the admin cares A LOT about your grades and wants to see that you care A LOT about your grades as well. Although you try to provide the argument that grades and honors don't really matter...well they do, and the colleges need to see that. Or are you saying that you're a genius beyond grades...in that case...good luck!
OP bigdaddy 1 / 1  
thanks alot. the prompt was just to write a personal statement . So i decided to write about the things im involved in and about me period. im gonna work on it somemore. thanks alot for the suggestions and i was looking to use the essay to apply to james madison university

Home / Undergraduate / Vice President of the student government program