My Travel Journal in Spain, and Take a Book to Paris - An Important book

oOCiCiOo 6 / 8  
I usually divide my education into two types: schooling and self-education--primarily through avid reading. For a long time I had been fed tons of facts and formulas at school, but through reading I raise question or reflect upon the nature of facts. Among many books, the unique travelogues by Da Lin, i.e. A Close Look at US Society Series, My Travel Journal in Spain, and Take a Book to Paris, best illustrate the intellectual fruits brought by reading.

These books trace the author's journey in various countries, providing vivid descriptions of culture, local customs, historical accounts, as well as current issues in their societies. What distinguishes these books from other writings on travel, history or society is their comparative approach and non-judgmental attitude. Da Lin makes me realize that the world and human society are sustained by a multitude of ideologies and behaviors, each dictating their own "facts" and "truths" that derive from their cultural and historical background.

If facts are relative, what is the real fact we pursue? Does learning facts have any meaning? Da Lin indicates in his books that we should remain receptive like a sponge and respect diverse opinions, ideas and beliefs without rushing to judgment. Since nobody witnesses or experiences every fact, the best way to approach truth is to accommodate as more opinions as possible so that we can stand on the proximity to truth, the only method for modern people to verify truth.

This reading experience has completely changed me. Da Lin's books teach me the significance of tolerance and diversity. At school, I used to take it for granted that the facts described in the textbooks were unquestionably true. When I encounter views that were different from mine, I would take it as "wrong" and try to alter it. But nowadays, I seek a diversified environment to learn and interact with people. I like to read different types of books with contrasting ideologies, to surf various "weird" online forums and social groups. I also try to figure out the causes of such differences.

Recently I attended the Harvard Summit for Young Leaders in China. It immersed me in an exciting environment of cultural diversity and intellectual freedom. I participated in the heated debates between furious extreme rightists and stubborn "new leftists",enjoyed chatting with seminar leaders from Africa about their growing up experience in those faraway countries, and had fun at the poker table by observing the different habits and demeanors of fellow Chinese from different provinces. The clashing of different ideas inspires further reflections, which form new ideas and ignite more debates. Sometimes I forget about my determination to be open-minded and try to convert others, but I always remind myself later what Da Lin's thoughtful books have taught me.

*Many thanks*
US U.S.

...accommodate as more many opinions as possible so that we can stand in prox imity to truth, the only...

I think this essay should apply all these insights to a particular subject that interests you and motivates you. In the intro to the essay you can introduce a particular topic of interest, and then later in the essay you can specify, like here:

... books about XXXXXX with contrasting ideologies, to surf various "weird" online forums and social groups. I also try to figure out the causes of such differences.

I think you should have a topic that is of great interest you you, and add a sentence about it at the end of that first paragraph... let Da Lin's books give you insight, not only general insight, but specifically about the topic that is central to your aspirations.

:-)

Home / Undergraduate / My Travel Journal in Spain, and Take a Book to Paris - An Important book