A time when you tried something for which you had no talent. Essay.

Akvsp 5 / 2  
Topic:Tell us about a time when you tried something for which you had no talent. How did it go?

"If you cant excel with talent, triumph with effort"

When I was in the 7th grade, my art teacher told us that each one of us had the opportunity to give the Elementary drawing examination. There was going to be a three-month intensive training after which we would be fully prepared for it. A few of my friends and I thought there would be no harm trying for it and it would only help us.

The training for the examination started in a week and all of us were very excited about it. The teachers told us that there were 3 parts to the examination-memory, technical and color. We thought that this would be pretty simple as we were already doing technical as a part of our school syllabus. In the beginning I thought I could manage but then when we started getting to the depth of it, I realised that it was quite difficult. I tried my level best and always found myself in a fix when we had to draw something from memory as I could not always draw what I had in mind. But I still tried. All the other students were always eager and waiting to showcase their talent whereas I always hid my work from the others. Soon I was convinced that I had no talent for drawing.

I decided to speak to my teacher about this. She suggested that I continue with it and give it my best. It was very difficult to not let the fact that all my classmates were much better than me, deter me from putting my heart and soul into it. I used to practice everyday and strived to improve. Eventually it ended up being more motivating than de-motivating for me.

I was very nervous before the examination, but I gave it my best shot. Though the exam went off well, it was not good enough. I got more than I expected and I did very well in my color section.

Later I took up painting as an extra curricular activity. I only concentrated on oil paintings and stained glass as I really enjoyed that. Today, I have made almost made 4 oil paintings and about 8 stained glass paintings. Everybody who has seen these paintings have really appreciated them and can hardly believe that these paintings were made by a person who had no talent for drawing.

I always thought that talent and situation were more paying than hard work, but after my experience I believe that if someone wants something he can always achieve it irrespective of talent or situations.
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Good afternoon :)

First, make sure that you are only capitalizing proper nouns and the first words of sentences. For example, "Elementary" shouldn't be capitalized.

Second, the general rule for numbers in formal academic writing is that if it is between one and ten, writing out the words is appropriate; if it is 11 or above, using the numerals is appropriate.

Third, make sure you run the piece through a spell checking program such as Word or the Mozilla web browser as there are some spelling errors.

Avoid beginning your sentences with conjunctive/transitory words such as "so," "but," or "and."

In regards to content, you have a great response to the prompt. You explain your experience very well; it is organized, it flows well, and is easy to read.

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com
OP Akvsp 5 / 2  
Hi .. Thank you so much. but could you please tell me what the spelling errors are, because i did a spell check before posting it here. Also i wanted to know whether it would be a good idea to use this essay for the the UC -topic of your choice ? Or should i write a separate essay for the uc form?
EF_Team5 - / 1,586  
Good afternoon :)

I just ran your piece through both Mozilla and Word, and they both picked up at least one error; make sure you run the entire piece through, especially the second paragraph.

It is up to you whether or not you use this piece for another prompt; as I don't know what your prompt would be/is, it will be difficult for me to say. Make sure that you tailor the piece enough so that it acknowledges every facet of the prompt if you do choose to use it.

Regards,
Gloria
Moderator, EssayForum.com

Home / Undergraduate / A time when you tried something for which you had no talent. Essay.