Home / Undergraduate   % width NEW!

'I want to study Psychology because...' - University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

hixtine 4 / 9  

Planning to Major in Psychology

I come from a large city called Naperville. Likewise, I come from a large high school with an enrollment of more than 4000 students. As I progressed in my educational journey, formally known as life, my world became larger. My tight-knit community, which once only consisted of my mother and father expanded, adding relatives, playmates, friends, teachers and eventually the 4000 strangers I walk amongst five days a week. My large community paired itself with a more impersonal upbringing. I realized how easy it was to slip in and out unnoticed, how easy it was to feel lonely and, worst of all, meaningless.

I began to observe the interactions of my peers; the goofing off, the lovers' fights, the friendly laughs, the colloquial conversations and solitary walkers reminded me of one thing: voice. Somehow, the act of shaping lips, opening mouths and moving tongues has become the essence of well-being. The conversations around me blended into a buzz.

I recalled a conversation I had with a friend named Marcy. We were once very close, but had drifted apart over the years. Oftentimes I believed that close friends blessed her. How could she ever feel lonely with a close circle of friends? As we chatted, she confided in me how alone she felt sometimes. All she needed was someone to listen. She needed to voice a deeper part of her that often became brushed under the daily round of care-free jokes.

I want to study Psychology because of people I want people to know they have a voice.

I'm applying to UIUC for psychology. I haven't quite finished it but I'mhaving some trouble figuring out which parts I should develop more and my conclusion. Any tips would help!

Home / Undergraduate / 'I want to study Psychology because...' - University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign