Undergraduate Statment of purpose for SCAD; Photography

Jenn1124 2 / 2  
I'm not a very good writer and I'm not good about talking about my self, especially when I have to write it down. So if anybody can help that would be great!.

The statment of purpose is supposed to be approximately 500 words and should give an overview of the applicant's academic and personal experience, describing peperation for and commitment to further study at SCAD, as well as educational and professional goals and aspirations.

I have chosen Photography as my major because I enjoy being able to capture a moment forever in a photograph. It's something special to be able to look into a picture and feel something from the picture itself. The pictures that I enjoy the most are the ones that I capture of people; of families interacting and sharing moments together. I enjoy being able to capture that one precious moment when something special happens. I want to show people another way to view the world, and to view people.

I also in joy scenic pictures of places I've been or places that are important to other people and bringing something back for them to enjoy. Whenever I'm working in photography and look at some of my finished work I feel like I turn into a little kid and get all giddy over it because I surprise my self every time, when I have to show my work I always end up blushing because I've never had any training before, and when they like it I still blush its just has smile going along with it or if they give me pointers or say that I need to change this or that I listen so I know what to do next time. I never get discouraged because I love it too much to stop.

I am currently working on getting my certificate in the Film/Video program at Central Piedmont Community College before I graduate high school.

The part of my education that I want to receive from SCAD, I would like to sharpen my skills as a photographer, gain the knowledge that I need to start my career, and to work in the fields that I am interested in. I see college as another stepping-stone that I need to reach in order to go out on my own, and to work on the same level with other professionals in order to better myself and improve my job skills. I would like to get to a point where I can do some work for companies like Discovery and National Geographic, and also doing set photography for movies and television.

I would like to get my Masters so I can teach at one point. People tell me I have a great ability to teach in everything I know, I've had teacher have me teach other students before.
maverick288 - / 5  
Hi there Jenn! From what I can see, your content is there but your presentation requires some work.

If I were you Id introduce the fact that you're working on your film certificate first and then follow up with what got you interested in photography and what interests you about it the most.

Also, your opening could use some flavor. I would suggest perhaps painting a picture (pun intended) for the reader to see how you are able to capture emotions and textures of the pictures you take. Something like a mini story in the beginning, maybe of you admiring a picture you took earlier in the morning of a beautiful sunset.

Whenever I'm working in photography and look at some of my finished work I feel like I turn into a little kid and get all giddy over it because I surprise my self every time, when I have to show my work I always end up blushing because I've never had any training before, and when they like it I still blush its just has smile going along with it or if they give me pointers or say that I need to change this or that I listen so I know what to do next time.

This part sounds a tad childish to me. I get what you're trying to say, but perhaps you could approach the content differently. Giddy would most definitely not be the word. You could say that when you look at the pictures you take, you suddenly become "child-like" and cannot stop admiring and showing off your pictures, just like a preschooler would do with an art project he adores. As for the part where you say you blush, you could replace it by saying that their compliments motivate you to become a better photographer. You could relate this to your "child-like" behavior by saying that this makes you to seek their approval time and time again. Although I have never stepped foot into the world of photography, I think this would show the reader that as a photographer, you place importance on what the public thinks of your work, and not just your own thoughts.

This sentence needs some repair:

I have chosen Photography as my major because I enjoy being able to capture a moment forever in a photograph.

You could replace it with something like this:
I have chosen photography as my major because I enjoy capturing priceless moments on film, allowing them to freeze in time

Hope that helps!

I'm slightly new to contributing here so moderators, please check my suggestions for Jenn's sake :)

Home / Undergraduate / Undergraduate Statment of purpose for SCAD; Photography