Unanswered [1] / Urgent [0]

Home / Undergraduate2

UC PERSONAL STATEMENT (What shaped my dreams and aspirations)

This if for my UC Personal Statement. Please feel free to be harsh with my writing, it's not perfect at all.

I remember that cold winter night in January 2010; I was making my way home after a heart breaking playoff loss. To my surprise, I was welcomed home with an eviction letter attached to my front door. I couldn't collect my belongings; from my childhood collection of Magic Tree House book series to my only picture with my family, they were all gone. During that same week, I was unable to pay the tuition of my high school and was subsequently not allowed to return. I had reached my breaking point. Tears streamed down my eyes as I kept re-assuring myself that this was all a dream and I would wake up soon. I mean, only the characters in dramas have it this bad, right?

I was now living as a vagabond, moving over twenty times in the course of six months. Whether I was living in the homes of my friends or run-down motels, I carried a sense of shame wherever I went. I felt I was just a financial burden to my alcoholic mother, exacerbating what was already a tough life. From this point on, I bade farewell to my childhood and any hope for an idyllic life. I knew that I had been thrust prematurely into adulthood. It was the only way. My love for my mother has influenced me to become an addiction psychiatrist. I want to aid many patients who are similar to my mother. Taking care of my mom as a child, I've developed a great amount of compassion for others. I want to exercise this love in my community and throughout the world.

Looking back on my life, every painful event has defined the person I am today. It's because of moving countless times that I have learned how it feels for someone on the street to not have a home. It's because of my responsibilities that I was able to mature as a student and a son. It's because of my mom's illness that I want to continue to study and help others. It's because of my disadvantages that I had an opportunity to rise as a stronger person. My care ethic, compassion and love were all an outcome of these events.

As I stayed optimistic, my life improved. I recently found a part-time job, which pays under minimum wage, but it is enough to get me by every month. I am now able to pay the rent, the phone bill, and the food bill without depending on my mom. Mom is now recovering from her alcoholism with the savings bond money I received from my grandpa. Dad is finally searching for any job he can find in hopes that he can support my mom and me one day.

I won't allow my hardships to blind me from what life has to offer; it is my hardships that opened my eyes to life's happiness. I determine the course of my life, not my circumstances. Life is about chasing personal goals that will benefit others; every day I run closer to the finish line.

I like that you started veering away from your mother as a main point and more towards how you saw being a vagabond as an impetus to succeed. I only say this because many admissions officers will see stories about family members, but not many people can overcome an ordeal such as yours to attend college. I would say make the struggle of constantly readjusting to the new way of life the main topic and how you are stronger because of it.
  Closed ✓

Home / Undergraduate /