Stanford Essay - Global warming

jacobose_22 /  
Discuss some issue of personal, local, national, or international concern and its importance to you. This is for stanford. Can anyone check this please??

Global warming has been becoming a big problem throughout the years. People don't acknowledge that global warming is becoming worse every day. We may drive our car to a store four blocks away or go to another city, but the distance that we drive no matter how far it is, affects global warming in a small way. Most national governments have been working on ways to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, but what about regular civilians? We may have some opportunities to help reduce gas emissions such as hybrid cars, but what about the cost? Not many families can afford a hybrid car and therefore cannot do their part in helping lessen global warming. Global warming can affected the earth in many ways. It can affect habitats, ecosystems, and even people. The only solution to solving global warming is by working together as a society and doing everything that is possible to reduce greenhouse gases.

Technology has gone a long way and as a strong society that we are now, we are capable of stopping global warming. Cars are responsible for almost a quarter of annual US emissions of carbon dioxide which is the primary global warming gas. In recent years new cars have been developed such as hybrid and those that use bio fuels. Some people are happy that new efficient cars are being developed but the question is, are they taking advantage of the new cars? People might think about buying a hybrid car because gas prices have being going up lately, but they never think about global warming. Most people today drive regular gasoline cars and most cannot afford new efficient cars. In order for everyone to contribute on reducing global warming, hybrid cars or environmentally friendly cars would need to be distributed among most of the public. Some might say what about the money needed to do something like that? What's more important money or global warming? If people were asked this question, most of them might say global warming.

Global warming has not been a big issue to some people because they might think that rising temperatures above average is something normal. What they do not realize is that if temperatures continue to rise over a long period of time, the earth may experience some problems that would be impossible to solve. Although severe climate changes occur through a long period of time, we still need to take action to better the future. If we do not do something today, future generations are going to have to deal with greater effects of global warming.

There are many ways to reduce the effects of global warming, from using hybrid cars to using less electricity. There are many things that we can do but we have to make it available to everyone. National governments can only do so much to help reduce greenhouse gasses. It is up to everyone as a whole to do their part. People have not been changing when faced with the hard evidence of global warming; they are only going to change when they are in the midst of the crisis.

Stanford students are widely known to possess a sense of intellectual vitality. Tell us about an idea or an experience you have had that you find intellectually engaging

I'm not sure what to write for the topic above. I was thinking about writing about my experience at summer school and helping hispanic students learn english as a second language. I wasn't an actual student, I volenteered to go.

Any suggestions please???
Ivy_91 8 / 18  
Hello jacobose_22

Before I read it in detail, I think what you should start doing is to make it more hooking.
I know that it's hard to hook people with an essay about global warming, but try. Maybe include more rhetorical questions? Ask the reader of what he or she does to tackle global warming.

As soon as you make it more hooking, I'll read it ;)

(Admissions officers have thousands of essays to read and so they'll like essays that keep them interested)
surfsandiego 3 / 14  
You never discuss global warming's "importance to you" Why, specifically, are you so worried about global warming?
OP jacobose_22 /  
ok so should I just add a paragraph on why it's important to me?
surfsandiego 3 / 14  
I'm not sure. I'm not applying to Stanford but my cousin did last year and his essay on the economy was backed up by how he has personally seen his investments decline in the stock market and how his economics club gained interest because of all the bad financial news in the media. (He got in) So I think relating it back to you wouldn't hurt. Good luck
OP jacobose_22 /  
ok thanks. so do you thiink the rest of the essay is good?

Home / Undergraduate / Stanford Essay - Global warming